Logo

1977 Johnson 15hp

have this 15HP Johnson long shaft and working on fitting remote control cables for throttle and gear shifting....also looking for components for remote steering - rope and pulleys.
looking for some tutorial how to make the cables fit the motor......
..........for some reason a picture will not transfer to this post

Last edited:
First off. You shouldn't be using pulleys and cables. They are dangerous and have a tendency to break or come off the pulleys. Then you have no steering. I recommend a one piece steering system. It's a bit more expensive but a lot safer. . But if you have to use pulleys. You can mount a bracket on the lift handle at the front of the engine. Might have to drill some holes in the lift handle. Your bracket should have 2 holes side by each. Next to each other. To mount the tension springs and pulleys.
And the length of the bracket should be about 3 to 4 inches out from the motor handle

Last edited:
Thank you mechanicman,
I would love to go with one piece steering system, but I have no idea what to get and how to install, would need more information, part numbers, pictures etc

Last edited:
thank you fdrgator!
..............I have the remote control kit and the "box" for shifter and throttle controls. I am struggling with cables and designing the pulley system. My boat is a plywood Glen L15, that I want to use as a motorboat, yet do not want to remove anything that will let me use it as a sailboat in the future - if I ever would want that :)
Its really hard to find cables that would fit my application - 10 to 11 feet long....also I have not see yet any place that will show the right fitting for the cable for my motor. Got the "box" off ebay that supposed to be for my motor - but the cables that is totally different story. Just got 10' cable that does not have the end to fit the "box" hope to figure something out.
Have owner manual and a parts list book for the motor, but there is no information's about cable fitting and the box - I will be trying to figure out the remote control adapter kit - especially the throttle connector assembly.
If you know the sources to list parts for the box or the cables please let me know.
Still can not post pictures - not sure what that means.

thank you again
Wojo

There were pre-1979 remote controls, and 1979-up remote controls. They take different cables. Both types are sold here..

??----Have you looked at accessories for each model year , yes or no?-----Available right on this site and just a few clicks away from your screen.

I just could not find it anywhere on this website - thank you fdrgator!!!
Looks like I have box for 1979 and up box, and I did buy one cable that is for 1979 and up motors, also have one older cable too......wander if I can buy an pre - 1979 casing guide to fit in my box for an older cable.
The cables are pretty reasonable priced I must say.
I have to really think which way to go with all this......
Still can not post any pictures....maybe this future is not turned on for me yet...??

It might be possible to modify the box, I don't know because I've always just used the proper cables. Besides, the newer style is much better.

Your pictures may be too big. I don't know offhand what the limit is, but I've experienced the problem. Reducing the size worked for me.

line2.jpg

OK! I made it smaller and it works. Thanks fdr!
So here is a picture showing that using this cable I can shift in reverse but there is not enough play to shift forward. Don't know if this cable was the right one for the motor, as I was trying different cable lengths.

line2.jpg
trying different picture size and works too

line3.jpg

14' cables - too long. Wandering how big loop they need to make - said 6" min radius, this one was a foot

Last edited:
Rule of thumb..... Measure from center of control box to same corner of transom, then to center of engine. Whatever that measurement is... add 1' .

Hm-m-m-m, don't know what to say about the picture. Is the motor shift in reverse in pic? Overall cable length (such as 14' or whatever) has nothing to do with fitting the motor, only fitting the boat.

Go past (below) the motor, then loop back to enter the motor fittings.

Someone with some experience needs to fit ther inner cable to the pieces at the motor and inside the control box.-----Easy fix here.

Hm-m-m-m, don't know what to say about the picture. Is the motor shift in reverse in pic? Overall cable length (such as 14' or whatever) has nothing to do with fitting the motor, only fitting the boat.

Go past (below) the motor, then loop back to enter the motor fittings.

I will be getting new cable (1979 up) next week, and I will try to fit that cable and post pictures.

Someone with some experience needs to fit ther inner cable to the pieces at the motor and inside the control box.-----Easy fix here.

I understand what need to be done here - so far don't know how.
........but with lot's of help so far from all of you guys - I am sure I will eventually learn what to do.
thank you !!

Rule of thumb..... Measure from center of control box to same corner of transom, then to center of engine. Whatever that measurement is... add 1' .

Just got home from last day of work this week - looking forward to the weekend.
Plan is to measure the boat for box location and cables length - pretty sure I will go with the 11' foot - and establish final location for the box.
Here is the boat - replaced old decks with new marine plywood - need some bright finish here !

line4.jpg

here is the problem that I need to solve.
How to make this cable work:

gear shifter in neutral......and you can see that there is not enough play to go into forward gear
line6.jpg

and here for comparison gear shifted into reverse....
line5.jpg

in this picture gear lever shifted to forward gear........but the cable run out of play - if connected to the lever it would not shift to forward
line9.jpg

........no idea what to do

It looks like an adequate stroke, I think there is too much play in your motor's shifting components.

In Picture #3, the cable guide appears to be right up against the clamping bracket. If so, would the guide move further forward if not clamped in?

I also see clean threaded portions of the shift cable which indicate the cable is set to an unusual setting. This leads me to think that the upper and lower engine shift rods are not aligned properly with the brass shift connector's retaining bolt holes. The severe angle of the shift lever in reverse also tends to lean towards this thought.

One other thing (Colombo)... It appears that the control cable does not have the factory assembled guides but rather has the type that is held on by a threaded sleeve with lock screws. If so, there is usually a small hole just past the threaded sleeve... if so, have a allen wrench or some small tool of your choosing inserted in that small hole so that the inner cable cannot enter the hole (stops at the edge of the hole), then lock down the retaining screws. I've found that this small step (both ends) aligns the inner cable to its exact factory length.

NOTE that the inner cable, if cut by even 1/4"... it will never be able to be adjusted properly even if everything else is proper.

In Picture #3, the cable guide appears to be right up against the clamping bracket. If so, would the guide move further forward if not clamped in?

No, that's all there is - so the guide does not have enough play to do reverse and forward positions

I also see clean threaded portions of the shift cable which indicate the cable is set to an unusual setting. This leads me to think that the upper and lower engine shift rods are not aligned properly with the brass shift connector's retaining bolt holes. The severe angle of the shift lever in reverse also tends to lean towards this thought.

I did move it to give the sleeve a max play

One other thing (Colombo)... It appears that the control cable does not have the factory assembled guides but rather has the type that is held on by a threaded sleeve with lock screws. If so, there is usually a small hole just past the threaded sleeve... if so, have a allen wrench or some small tool of your choosing inserted in that small hole so that the inner cable cannot enter the hole (stops at the edge of the hole), then lock down the retaining screws. I've found that this small step (both ends) aligns the inner cable to its exact factory length.

NOTE that the inner cable, if cut by even 1/4"... it will never be able to be adjusted properly even if everything else is proper.

Actually this supposed to be a cable for 1977 motor - but I just got brand new cable that is for motor 1979 and up (which will fit the box - box is for motors 1979 and up also). So tomorrow I will try it on gear shifter....hopefully will have the time to post finding before going to work

line10.jpg

1.both pre and past 1979 cables have the same dimensions at the motor end
2. total travel for gear shifting handle on the motor is about 2.3" - from reverse position trough neutral to forward
Cable connector end - motor side - has travel of 3" - so that is not a problem
View attachment 20079

3. the culprit is the fixture to mount the cable !
line11.jpg

4 but I think from this picture I figure out how to use one of the pieces from the remote control kit I have........but no time today....work is calling again :)
line13.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you have it under "control". I made MY work, right at home....fixing motors, but my own boats look like hell. I could leave them at the end of the driveway with a "free" sign and nobody would even stop. Still snow here but jobs lining up fast. My wife likes to fish, I take her to the Fish Lake bridge. Boats are too much trouble.

so finally figure out what is needed.....

line14.jpg

so the plastic piece in between cables is what allows to mount the cable to the gear lever - however this one does not fit either cable. I am pretty sure the lower cable is for 1979 and up models, so I need to get the plastic piece for that cable, and go from there - and then I can find out if this is going to work, because at the end of the day I may have to go and get the whole set up (the box and cables) for my motor production year :rolleyes:

not really Tim, too many cables, models, etc etc....just real mess.
Now looking for this plastic piece - MarineEngine doesn't seems to have it
Never mind- found it. Now lets see if it will fit the cable.

Last edited:
Back