Logo

1972 Evinrude 50 h.p., electric shift. Evaluating shift solenoids.

boatdokker

Regular Contributor
On an early Evinrude electric shift lower unit, can the unit be evaluated for forward, neutral, reverse function before totally assembling the unit? The repair manual says to evaluate the ohms for each solenoid. The ohms spec. is something like 5 to 7 ohms for each solenoid. How necessary is the "wave washer" and plastic spacer for that assembly?

Last edited:
The driveshaft needs to be turning to make oil pressure.----The solenoids only direct that oil pressure.----If they show 5 / 7 ohms then solenoids should work.----Yes all the parts need to be there for it to work.-----Fill the gearcase with oil.----Even 10-W30 works for TESTING.-----Hook 12 volt negative to casing.---12 volts positive to green.---Turn driveshaft.----It should go to neutral after one turn.----12 volts positive to green and blue puts it in reverse after about 2 turns.-----Use TYPE C gear oil ( PREMIUM BLEND ) for actual operation on the water.

In agreement with Racerone... That about says it all.

Don't know why you would consider leaving the wave washer and spacer out unless you simply don't have them... in which case, get them before you even think of buttoning that unit up.

I got a nice deal on a throttle cable from "MarineEngine" for that motor, so I'll try to put a remote control unit together for the motor. I got the original "Evinrude Selectric" remote, so the hooking up the motor to remote control should go o.k. I didn't want to seal the lower unit without checking it for function. Thanks again.

The plastic spacer was assembled on top of the two solenoids. The "wave washer" was totally missing. It's a previously owned motor. I'll go to the schematic again. Thanks.

I guess the "Evinrude purists" are going to hate me, however, that yellow plug (factory 10 pin Amphenol) has been removed from the motor. Custom wiring is no trouble! I got the wiring diagram. Thanks!

Make sure you have the correct electric shift switch !!-----They are not " all the same " on EVINRUDES.----Pictures of your control box ?

Back