Logo

Cleaning carbs

Davidaz

I have a question on my 1995 two stroke mariner. With 4 carbs on a it. If I pull the carbs off and clean them and put a new kits in them. When I install them back do I have to synchronize them back together or something like that. I hope you guys understand what I am trying to ask. Or do i just install them back on. Thanks for some info.

Only thing I suggest is. If you pull out the mixture screws. Count how many times they turn in. Then when you re assemble them. Put the screws back in turn in clockwise untill snug. Not tight or you will damage them . Then turn them out the number of turns you counted.
Number the carbs. 1 2 3 4. And put back together same way when you re assemble carbs back on engine.

Right. But take out all you can in order to clean passageways, jets, etc...Physically clean out jets with a welding tip cleaner and good spray like CRC "Throttle Body Cleaner". Careful that it doesn't spray back into your eyes, wear safety glasses, its powerful stuff. Make sure the throttle butterflys are synchronized, all at the same measured opening. Do this by careful sighting when they are open just a few millimeters. The carbs will then provide the same amount of fuel to all cylinders equally. You will notice the carbs can move around a little bit before you final tighten them. This will affect throttle synchronization.

Pappy, what happens when you remove the screws there?
You destroy factory flow calibration as it supplies just enough fuel to keep cylinders from seizing but not enough to make any power. The result is a ill idle, hair pulling ,cussing yourself. You can set them at a starting point if disturbed but sync and link will need tweaked with to make engine happy...throw factory recommended settings away. This is where and why you need a factory manual to attempt any repairs as states in manual not to twiddle with these screws...read manual procedure twice and repair once.

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks. You guys are great. I'm always learning. They are adjustable, but not really accessible or to be tweaked. Would they sustain proper mixture in higher altitude, or not enough to cause a problem? Wouldn't effect me but say my friend in the Black Hills at 5,300 ft?

Back