Logo

90ELPT Bogs down on open trottle

Velocetwo

I have owned this Outboard for about six years. The engine is a 2000 90ELPT 4S. I purchased it used and the first time I took the boat out it bogged at throttle. Calling the boat shop they said it was probably the old gas. I replaced the gas and it seemed to run OK for 3-4 trips then I had the same issue, it would start up and idle fine, get up on plane, run a while then start to cut in and out not running at 5500 RPM closer to 4500. I changed the fuel filters and the gas again but still had the same problems. A year later I finally took it in to a repair shop they said compression was good the fuel pressure was good and diagnosed the problem as a bad thermostat never letting the engine get up to optimum temperature. The boat ran good for maybe 1-2 trips then went back to it same old problem of loosing power at full throttle cutting in and out and never reaching full RPM. I changed all the plugs, new fuel filer on engine, changed the fuel hose and fuel siphon pump. Took it out last week same problem. Any thoughts?

Velocetwo, I'm in no way an expert, I had a 1978 85hp johnson that had similar problems. I thought it was a fuel problem also. It would normally smooth out when I dropped back to idle. It started doing it at idle once in awhile. It was sporadic but I could feel it change like one cylinder would quit and then start firing again. One day it was doing it I removed the cover and started tapping coil, wires and then power packs. When I hit one of the power packs it smoothed out and ran great. I changed that power pack and problem was gone.

I'm not stating that's what it is, and I know you must be getting fed up with it, and just replacing things gets expensive. I'm sure your engine has different electrical components, but don't over look the possibility of it being electrical. When you put your motor under strain it also requires more electrical power, I think. I was told by several people that my power packs don't do that, but they did.

I know your frustrated with it good luck. Maybe something simple?

Back