Logo

Johnson 15 hp 2 stroke 1988

sancho

Hello all,

First of all, sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language.

I just bought my first outboard witch is old 15 hp 2 stroke Johnson. Now I want to put Lowrance fishfinder(not sure if this is the correct word to it) to my boat and I'll need battery for it. Any ideas on how to get the battery charged while using the fishfinder? Or is it even possible?

BR
Sancho

That would appear to be an 87 model.-----Are there any yellow wires coming from under the flywheel ??------0174037 is the kit available from this site.

Last edited:
If that engine is an electric start model, it most likely already has a charging setup installed. Look for a tower shaped component about 1" tall, circular in shape, with a triangular base that has 3 or four wires leading from it. That would be a rectifier that converts AC voltage to DC voltage.

A three (3) wire rectifier would have two (2) yellow wires (one may have a gray stripe)... and one (1) red wire.

A four (4) wire rectifier would have one (1) yellow wire, one (1) yellow wire with a gray stripe, one (1) yellow wire with a blue stripe, and one (1) red wire. They four (4) wire rectifier is most commonly the one installed on your model engine.

If your engine incorporates this rectifier component, the charging system is already in effect.

Great advice from Racerone and Joe. Hopefully you already have the charging system and it's just simple connections. If not, you should be able to get the correct parts to assemble the charging system pretty easily.

I have a small boat with a 9.9 HP that I use for fishing small lakes that won't allow my larger boat. I use a Group 27 deep cycle battery to run my electric trolling motor and depth finder. I can run this all day long and still have a little juice at the end of the day. Then, I just use a small deep cycle automatic battery charger to bring it back up over the night.

If you are only running a depth finder a battery like that should last a long time. If you are worried about battery charge you could rig up a small solar charger like this one so you're constantly charging the battery as the depth finder draws power. Installing/using a rectifier is the best option especially if your engine has electric start. But, a solar charger will work great too if you're fishing during the day.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFCDKL...&pd_rd_r=1cd0c948-6061-11e9-afa9-71b4a9ca45aa

BA in the model number says it has AC lighting coils installed. That can be converted to DC for battery charging by the simple installation of the rectifier (battery charging) kit.

Thank you all for great advices!

That would appear to be an 87 model
I bought this as a 1988 motor, but that's not a big deal :)

Are there any yellow wires coming from under the flywheel ??
It looks like I have it already?
Capture.jpg

In some areas used parts are easy to find.----Your location ?
I live in Finland

So do I need only buy the cable that comes from motor to the battery?

BR
Sancho

Can someone confirm this, thank you!

BR
Sancho

If it just has an AC lighting coil, which normally outputs to the socket shown in your picture,you need the battery charging kit which plugs into the socket and which includes a rectifier to convert AC to DC. the plug and wiring harness

convert

Alternatively , if you know what you are doing, you could by the appropriate rectifier and install it on the engine itself together with a terminal block and a lead to connect to the battery
similar to this ( but without the stator coil)

convert

DO NOT connect the battery direct to an AC lighting socket without a rectifier

You appear to need a four wire rectifier ( 3 AC input connections and a DC positive output)

Last edited:
Back