Logo

1985 E2RCOC 2HP help

monjorrow

Hello all,

I recently purchased an '85 2hp evinrude that is in good running condition, I think. The guy I bought it from replaced the fuel lines and cleaned the carb, so it starts up fine. On my one and only outing with it it ran great and pushed me up river fine, but then on my way back down it started to bog and I had to keep adjusted the top knob to keep the RPMs up. What would cause this?

My next issue is that it would not stay at full throttle without me holding it in place. I see that there is a roller on the throttle that is supposed to go into a groove, but it seems to me like the groove isn't deep enough. Is there an easy fix for this?

And lastly, and mostly the reason for this post, it is not hanging in my garage and I noticed it is leaking gear oil from the lower unit fill plug. The problem I see is there is only 1 plug on the lower unit. No vent plug. So how do I go about changing the gear oil? Is it as simple as taking out the plug, tipping the motor till its empty, then re-filling while straight up till oil starts coming out the fill hole?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

For the gear lube issue. Just pull the one screw out. And let it drain standing up. To fill put it on its side and fill it slowly till it's full. You may have to wait a bit if there's an air bubble to fill it.

For your first issue. It may be overheating. There should be water coming out of small holes on mid section near bottom. And the problem with those little engines is if the impeller has destroyed itself. Little pieces of the impeller go up the coolant tube to the power head and clog the cooling ports. It's a bitch to remove these pieces. Hopefully this isn't the case for you.

Send a pic of the roller/ throttle issue

Right on the fill, helps to heat the oil a little, flows in smoother when it is thinner. Might have some crap in the fuel system too. Try pulling off the float bowl and see if there is any kind of debris. Then you will need to completely dismantle the carb, clean, and replace anything you can't safely reuse. The fuel tank and filter will need to be cleaned as well 'cause the debris got into the carb from above. Then life will be good. If the tank has sediment and scale in it I will continue with more helpful information. Have some great cleaning techniques involving acid. There are ways to fix your throttle issue, but I will look at one of my 2 HP motors here to see the best method to resolve. Mechanicman will help too, he has become a very good reliable tech in a short time here at the forum.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I recently purchased an '85 2hp evinrude that is in good running condition, I think. The guy I bought it from replaced the fuel lines and cleaned the carb, so it starts up fine. On my one and only outing with it it ran great and pushed me up river fine, but then on my way back down it started to bog and I had to keep adjusted the top knob to keep the RPMs up. What would cause this?

My next issue is that it would not stay at full throttle without me holding it in place. I see that there is a roller on the throttle that is supposed to go into a groove, but it seems to me like the groove isn't deep enough. Is there an easy fix for this?

And lastly, and mostly the reason for this post, it is not hanging in my garage and I noticed it is leaking gear oil from the lower unit fill plug. The problem I see is there is only 1 plug on the lower unit. No vent plug. So how do I go about changing the gear oil? Is it as simple as taking out the plug, tipping the motor till its empty, then re-filling while straight up till oil starts coming out the fill hole?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

If you have to enrich the mixture with the mixture control knob to keep it running then the carb probably needs cleaning again. Maybe the tank was not flushed out thoroughly before. Check you have a good fuel flow to the carb. I don't believe there is a filter in the fuel system ( often incorporated into the fuel shut off cock).

Check that the flywheel is not dragging on the coil. Possible if the coil has been replaced/ disturbed and not positioned correctly
Other wise look at the parts diagram.
convert

Is screw #31 and spring #32 a throttle friction adjustment. If so tighten the screw. Id expect your owners manual to mention this if it is so ( RTM).
I think the roller you mention is the throttle cam follower. It opens the carb throttle plate as the throttle control is advanced. That is all. I can see no other roller!

When draining the gear oil tip the engine to ensure all old oil is emptied. as said lay it down to refill. You may have to raise the lower unit a little to ensure all the air escapes.
Use a new sealing washer on the fill/drain plug

Back