Logo

Low compression

Faztbullet, they are Parsen? I hope I don't regret them.

Timguy, yes the top ring only is, tapered or chamfered.

Racerone is correct about the Ringling area being smaller diameter than the skirt. When we machine the pistons, the DN (diameter nominal) is measured at a specific distance up from the bottom of skirt, or register. The other dimensions are relative to DN. Most all pistons are machined with ovality, egg shaped sort of, at specified points, and sometimes Ringling area has ovality. Sorry getting off on a tangent.

I put the crank shaft in and started to attach rod end cap on one cylinder. First off I don't have an end clamp specialty holder. I seen one on Ebay for about 300 bucks. Do I need one? I'm getting worried at this point that I won't get them mated properly. What is a good way to aproach this with out an expensive clamp that I'll never use again?

As long as you kept the rods and caps together and the orientation the same you should be fine. They are fractured caps so they only fit one way on one rod. I use a dental pick to check alignment. Snug the cap down and the line should almost disappear. Then take the dental pick and run it across the fracture line and it should not catch on the line. Then torque them.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply flyingscott. I am most certain I didn't get the caps mixed up, and there is a dot on cap and rod forged in on same side. But I do second guess myself sometimes. I'm anxious to get this motor together, but not at the cost and time to screw it up.

Thank you.

It will be VERY obvious if you try and fit rod caps that are mixed up !!
Yes it is very obvious. I put #3 cap on #1 rod, by mistake, but I only finger tightened it. I sloweddown after that and double checked my work before tightening bolt.

The only thing I have rolling around in my head right now is, what if I starved the joints of the crank case assembly of the sealer near the crank journals or uper and lower case heads?
I'm almost certain I didn't, I stayed with in a quarter of an inch away from these areas as the manual stated. I's there any way I can tell now that it's assembled?

Other than that I think every thing went well.

The rebuild went very well. I have 125psi per cylinder, it's an old compression gage but I think it's pretty close. But I have encountered another problem, I believe it's electrical. I start a new post for that.

I want to say Thank You to all who helped me out:
racerone
timguy
joereeves
Boobie
flyingscott
SnapperBlues

I would have lost with out you help.

Great job, thank your machinist too. Now you can appreciate your own work everytime out. I too get so much more satisfaction out of something I rebuilt.

Back