Logo

Locking Ring Wrench FT-11275

Kellygirl

Does anyone know where I can purchase a locking ring wrench, Force/Mercury Part FT-11275? Mercury no longer carries it, as do the major suppliers. I came up negative on Amazon and EBay also. I was told I can make one out of a piece of pipe. This may be my only alternative. This tool is used to remove the large ring holding in the bearing carrier in the lower end of a 1993 Force 90 hp. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you have the ability, make it.
The other way is you can cut it out and replace it??
Don't use a torch to get it out, gets too hot and melts the housing.

Use heat and penetrating oil before you try to remove it.
Post a pic of the tool you make.

Thanks Jerry. Getting shakey about trying this myself. May just drag it off to a Mercury dealer to see what they can do. Appreciate the advice. Will let you know what I decide.

You can drill it out if you are careful. Don't hit the threads in the case. Drill 2 holes an inch apart if you get enough meat off the ring you can pry out the inch piece. Then the rest you can pry out. Just be careful of the threads.

The locking ring is soft pot metal.
I use a hacksaw blade and make the 2 cuts and then pry it out.
The threads are soft too(aluminum) and easy to clear out.

If you decide to make a wrench??
Make 2 and send me one :)

Going to see an old time mechanic tomorrow who works on older stuff. I am willing to farm the job out than to screw it up. I know my limitations. They should have the tool. I will let you know how I make out. Thanks for the suggestions.

I've done the cut and pry a few times.
That wrench doesn't always get the retainer out:(

If you do try? remember to bend the tabs back on the lock ring.

Found an old time mechanic who was willing to take the job on. Big load off my mind. Just did not feel comfortable tackling this job. Thanks for all the advice.

Back