Logo

60hp mariner cylinder issue. (Misfire)

Slopoke76

Ok. So I'm ready to pull my hair out. 97 mariner 60. I have been chasing a odd miss. It is not a dead miss but it pops and spits and no power. It's the middle cylinder. All 3 have 130lbs compression. All carbs good. I swapped coils and issue stays on no 2 cyl. I tested spark and it is present as will jump a 7/16 gap with ease. I am out of ideas unless it's the switch box or trigger coil.

It could be your switchbox. I've had engines run perfectly above 2000 rpm. Then at idle 1 cylinder would drop out. The switchbox would be my guess. The trigger rarely. But if your unsure . It's best you get yourself spark testers that you can put between the sparkplug and the boot. Not the adjustable gap kind. These testers show an orangish light when it fires up. Then keep your eyes on the number 2 cylinder . If you suspect the cylinder has rotated as racerone says, it may have overheated. Your welcome to try that also.

It could be your switchbox. I've had engines run perfectly above 2000 rpm. Then at idle 1 cylinder would drop out. The switchbox would be my guess. The trigger rarely. But if your unsure . It's best you get yourself spark testers that you can put between the sparkplug and the boot. Not the adjustable gap kind. These testers show an orangish light when it fires up. Then keep your eyes on the number 2 cylinder . If you suspect the cylinder has rotated as racerone says, it may have overheated. Your welcome to try that also.
I used a non adj spark tester as well. Its solid the whole time. I pulled reed plate off and all looked well. How should I ck for cyl rotation? Would it not effect compression. Thanks. One more thing and I know it's not proper but it will crank on just cyl 1 or just cyl 3. If you try just cyl 2 it pops very bad nut will not start

Last edited:
I'm sure racerone can answer that question. About cylinder rotation.
Well maybe you have a carb issue. Can you see inside the carbs when it's running. Check for fuel spray as you rev it up. Should be a mist. Could be that it's dripping or pouring. Does this misfire only happen at certain rpms?

Last edited:
They look well seated. All look the same. It's about to drive me crazy. I keep hoping it's something simple I'm missing. How is best way to check for a rotated sleve

Back