Logo

I just got a used Force 9.9 HP with some challenges

BigMac518

I just acquired a 1994 Force 9.9 HP motor that had not been used for several years. It looks to be in very good shape and after a little cleaning and fiddling, I managed to get it running.
It does have some quirks, though, that I need some expert help with.
The first is that although it starts up easily and idles pretty smoothly, I cannot turn the twist throttle past the "start" position and increase the RPMs. Something seems to be preventing it from twisting past "start".
Second is that something is preventing the shift lever from shifting to either "forward" or "reverse". It moves a little in either direction but something is either binding or preventing it from accomplishing a gear change.
The third challenge is that I cannot find the "telltale" or "pea stream" anywhere to determine the health of the water pump. Does it even have one? I have never had an outboard that didn't have one, but I guess there is always a first.
If there is one it must be clogged or the water pump is shot. I have only run it for a few minutes at a time so far and it doesn't seem to be overheating but I don't want to fry it if it isn't pumping water.
Of course, the motor didn't come with an owners manual or repair manual so I am shooting in the dark at this point and sure could use some knowledgable advice.
Thanks.

I would think that your shifting issue is related to your fast idle issue. Check and see if there is a lockout that prevents you from starting it in gear. This may be jammed. Have you looked at the gearcase oil yet? Drain it and inspect the colour of your gear lube. If it's milky or full of water that may be the shifting issue

I would think that your shifting issue is related to your fast idle issue. Check and see if there is a lockout that prevents you from starting it in gear. This may be jammed. Have you looked at the gearcase oil yet? Drain it and inspect the colour of your gear lube. If it's milky or full of water that may be the shifting issue

I have not checked the gear case yet - will do that next. I planned to check the water pump anyway so I will do it all at the same time. There seems to be a lot of linkage related to throttle speed and gear shift that is new to me - not sure what all of it is supposed to do. I managed to find a service manual on ebay that might help a lot.

I will post any progress here.

Thanks mechanicman

Back