Logo

1973 Slickcraft SS235 225hp 800series 990211F electric shift prop shaft broke and upper leaking

Grizzly7110

I just bought this boat for $800.
Very good condition but the drive and power unit is in rough condition.
Pulled prop and the end shaft crumbled into pieces.
The upper is leaking thru the water port. After all that I started it up and sounds like the 307 has a bad rod. But the engine is the least of my worries.ill just replace with a bone yard 350.
My question is . How hard is it to replace the prop shaft and fix the upper unit? Or should I just go find another avenue to get boat going?

OMC sterndrives are not at the top of the popularity list.-----Best to look that up.-----Then look for another boat.-----

Ayuh,..... Good luck with that,....

There's no parts for that drive, nor accessory parts for that motor,......

Swappin' in a Mercruiser or Volvo is the only way to save the hull,.....

Neighbor had a fine 24 foot' " Thomson built " 1966 Chris Craft.------The OMC V-6 was removed in 1990.-----An expert reworked the transom.-----A Mercruiser 188 V-8 was installed.-----Still working like a charm today after several new owners.----Even the 76 Johnson 15 HP that I rebuilt in 1988 is still on it.------If you need a propshaft for that drive I have some.

Last edited:
With a shop doing the work ( if you can find one ) it would easily take $500/600. + parts.---If salt water motor all bets are off.------Where did you came up with this 800 series thing ?----Any pictures of this drive ?---A new propshaft appears to be less than $200.

Last edited:
Found a 1969 evinrude sportsman 155 w a Chrysler v6.

Ayuh,.... OMC used Buick V6s, 'n V6 outboards, turned on their face,....
Never seen a Chrysler with an OMC, 'n I don't think Chrysler was buildin' V6s then,......
Chevy V6s came later,....
'n the gear ratio won't work anyways,....

Thought you couldnt change over due to the huge round hole in transom. How would you go about doing that?

Ya strip out the hull, glass in the old hole, 'n cut in what you need,.....

What would be your estimate for total cost of prop shaft replacement? With seals and all.

Problem is findin anybody willin' to work on a stringer drive,.....

They used a V-4 outboard in the early ( 1960's ) OMC 88 / 90 HP sterndrives.-------No such thing as a V-6 outboard at the time

Ok thanks. Lucky we have an old omc dealer close to us and he's gonna replace whole drive for a decent price.
Engine update. Was only a stuck valve. Repaired and runs great now.

Back