Logo

50 hp force will not start

turkeydad

good day all in need of some help. i have a 1987 blue fin boat and it has a 50 hp force on it. was running fine last november and now it will not start. cranks fine but no spark to either plug. I am a heavy truck mechinic but do not have a lot of experiance on outboard motors. I have checked the kill switch and ignition switch, there is continuity through the switch on 2 terminals and non on the 2 that have white wires on them until you pull the kill switch. and the purple wire from the dash area to the motor is not hooked up. need to know how to test and where to test the stator, and the rest of the ignition system. I have all the nessacery testing tools just not sure where to start testing.

I would try and disconnect the main wiring harness at the engine. Use an external start switch running off the start solenoid. If the engine has spark then you have a problem at the ignition switch or kill switch. Process of elimination.

outboardignitiondotcom has test procedures for your motor.
You have the Prestolite system.

In most cases the stator is the problem when you loose spark on both cylinders.
You can test the stator with an analog test meter.
The more advanced test will need a DVA meter.

IF NO FIRE ON ANY CYLINDER:

1. Disconnect kill wire AT THE PACK.
  2. Check for broken or bare wires on the unit, stator and trigger.
  3. Measure DVA voltage of the stator between the output wire sets. With everything connected, readings should be approximately 180 volts or more. Resistance readings between the stator wire sets range from 680 - 800 ohms.
  4. Disconnect the rectifier. If the engine fires, replace the rectifier.

Back