Logo

BF 225 burnt oil / metal in lower unit / shifter problems

primus1

Hi - I am looking at buying a used ocean boat with twin 2013 Honda BF225's each with ~1100 hours dealer maintained. The boat has been mostly dry for a few years, but the hull and motors seem to be in good condition. The starboard lower unit had some metal in gear oil and the gear oil was burnt up a little bit. The prop turns smooth and did not have any wobble up, down, left or right. The gear oil was replaced and during the sea trial, going from partial to neutral it was very hard to shift the starboard motor intermittently. Smooth as butter out of water and from ~1200 RPM down to neutral though.

I have read quite a few posts on these two particular topics individually, but just wondering if they could be related? Is there anything in the lower unit shift components that could fail or patially fail that could account for metal in the gear oil or can I be reasonably assured that these are two separate issues that need to be addressed independantly? No real clanking, or grinding makes me think they are not related.

Mechanical inspection recommends teardown on the lower unit and replace with new if repairs exceed $2500 with no real estimate or plan forward on the shifting issue.

If shifting from in gear to neutral is hard it's caused by one of two things, tight or poor quality shift cable, or idle speed too high. If you're referring to fine bits of metal on the drain plug magnet, then this is perfectly normal, if there are small chunks, then there is a problem. Burnt gear oil in those lowers is usually due to extended hours between oil changes. Best oil for those is Mercury high performance gear oil.

Back