Logo

Question on starting issue

rick3452

Regular Contributor
Hi guys, New 5.7 long block is running great but it starts harder than it use to. For instance, Ran it for 45 min then pulled into the fuel dock for ten and tried to restart it without pumping. Cranked for several seconds and didn't start. Few pumps and fired up. Is this the carb losing prime? Carb was rebuilt very recently.
thanks for any ideas...
Mercarb two bbl. 0m012817
Rick

Last edited:
Given that it runs great once started up, it may be possible that your low speed metering circuits are a bit lean, causing the need for accelerator pump action in order to fire up again.

That is just one possibility.

Last edited:
Single mixture screw counterclockwise, aka out is richer, in is lean. Per commentsa above out/richer is how you want to go. Is float level ok? Difference in what you outline is engine is warm, assume choke is open when this happens ?

Dieter, thank you... cold or warm starts hard, choke is fully opened.
i will take the screw out a full turn to see what happens. Im ordering a new carb Monday as this is driving me crazy! Could timing have anything to do with it?
Thanks!
Rick

Based on your comments I wouldn't start with the basics of a tune up. Plugs, inspect and replace as needs plug wires cap and rotor. Set intial timing. If you have a thunderbolt V or Est ingintion you need to put it in base mode first.

Your carb probably just just needs a cleaning and tune up settings vs replacement.

Dieter, thank you... cold or warm starts hard, choke is fully opened.
i will take the screw out a full turn to see what happens. Im ordering a new carb Monday as this is driving me crazy! Could timing have anything to do with it?
Thanks!
Rick

Do not buy a new carb. Simple rebuild and adjustment will do.

Back