Logo

Quicksilver prop hub question

805HD

Regular Contributor
Hope I’m posting this in the right place, I bought a older quicksilver prop off a guy last week. P/N 48-73980-19 Would like to put a new hub in it since I’m not sure when the last time it was done.

From what I can gather online the hub is metal or a hard plastic vs the rubber hubs I’m more familiar with?

Is there a special way to get this thing out of the prop, it’s not budging with a socket and a baby sledge. Maybe a shop press? Is it even worth doing?

Just trying to avoid a headache on the water.
Thanks in advance!

It may not be the new style

The new style use four parts

prop
plastic insert and bronze splined insert which goes into plastic, thrust washer

if there is no bronze insert or plastic insert then it is a hard hub. Cant remove without a press

if there is no bronze insert or plastic insert then it is a hard hub. Cant remove without a press

Yea no bronze or plastic insert, so I’m assuming it’s a hard hub. I have a 12 ton press in the garage, but is it really worth doing? The prop seems to be in good shape, I’d just hate to throw it on the boat, drop it in the water and find out it’s spun..

engine is still out of the boat so I have the time.

I doubt its spun, You would see some kind of material oozing out between the prop ID and the hub OD.

Problem with pressing it out is, Where ya gonna get a new hub?

I doubt its spun, You would see some kind of material oozing out between the prop ID and the hub OD.

Problem with pressing it out is, Where ya gonna get a new hub?

For sure, I’ll leave it alone. It’s a pretty nice stainless prop. Total score for $50.

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it.

Back