Logo

Slow outdrive tilt

scott924

I have a 1993 5.0 Mercruiser with alpha 1 out drive. When I push my trailer button to lift out drive the unit comes up very slow. Fluid is full. The only change I made this year was I had to store the boat this winter with out drive all the way down. There seems to be a cavitation noise when unit gets close to full up.

Yes, i topped reservoir off with west marine trim and tilt fluid. I had read that some older model units use 10-30, so i called local marine dealer and they assued me this was ok to use in my 1993 mercruiser

Yes, i topped reservoir off with west marine trim and tilt fluid. I had read that some older model units use 10-30, so i called local marine dealer and they assued me this was ok to use in my 1993 mercruiser

This is may not apply to your boat because of the year difference, but if the boat is equipped with a reverse lock out valve it may be out of adjustment. The reverse lock out “locks” the drive in place when in reverse to prevent it from lifting under reverse throttle. If it’s out of adjustment it may be fighting the drive while you are raising it.

Again not 100% sure if the newer boats have this or not but it’s something worth looking into. Just thought I’d throw it out there I’m sure others with greater knowledge will chime in.

good luck, I hope you get it sorted!

Thank you for the info, i am going to look into this. Always worked great until i stored fully down, not sure what if anything happened because of this

Unhooked trim pistons off out drive, no load from it, moves freely. Unhooked up side of pump not alot of fluid flowing, does the up selenoid regulate the pump pressure difference between trim button, and trailer button, or is pump bad

solenoid actuates the motor only.
End of motor shaft drives mechanical pump which contains the valving. (valve body assembly)

Most likely a valve is bad. Same thing happened to me after 31 years on my trim pump. Mine would not do down either but would go up easily.

Easiest thing to do is look for a good used complete trim pump assembly or find a local boat repair place that may have one lying around with a bad motor and get the valve body.

Back