Logo

2002 Yamaha V-Max Hard Starting

Nehi21

Hello everyone I’m a first time poster. I have a 2002 Yamaha 225 V-Max. In the last month I have begun having issues with hard starting. Four or five tries and most of the time the bulb will go flat. Cranks fine at the ramp. The problem seems to start after the motor has warmed up and I fish for thirty minutes or so. Runs excellent when I get it on plane. I have replaced the plugs, water/fuel separator along with the vst and fuel filters. Thanks in advance for any advice with this issue.

Sounds like vapor lock to me. You can try running the engine with the cowling off, and see if the issue still occurs. If it doesn't, then this is probably your issue. I'm not sure how that is best addressed on your engine though.. newer models have a solenoid valve that controls this. You have a pressure regulator, so maybe you can try inspecting/replacing that. Or maybe try adding insulation to the fuel lines that sit near hot engine parts.

Also make sure your fuel tank is venting properly. Again, you can just flip open the fill port for a minute before you go to restart it when it's warm.. then see if the behavior is different.

And maybe try replacing the vst needle valve too.

Last edited:
Thanks rejesterd. I will check my vents this afternoon. It just started this a few weeks ago. First I thought it was bad gas but I have emptied both tanks so that doesn't seem to be the problem. Thanks again for the information.

Back