Logo

Just replaced the impeller

Ira Alford

I am new to the boating world and had to replace the impeller on a 60hp Yamaha 4 stroke 2010. After I replaced the impeller I noticed there was white smoke/steam coming out of the prop. Should I be concerned? Also the water coming out of the prop was warm. Is this normal? When I touch the bottom of the motor it felt warm as well. Is this a concern. Last question the stream of water coming out of the engine doesn’t seem as strong as it did before I replaced the impeller. Anyone know what would cause this? These are my concerns and would like to hear all the feed back I can before I put my boat back in the water. Thank you in advance.

?----Are you testing on a hose ?----What are the local atmospheric conditions ?------It is " cooling " water that has cooled the motor and the exhaust , so yes when you put your hand there it will be warm !-----Test with boat in the lake.

I am new to the boating world and had to replace the impeller on a 60hp Yamaha 4 stroke 2010. After I replaced the impeller I noticed there was white smoke/steam coming out of the prop. Should I be concerned? Also the water coming out of the prop was warm. Is this normal? When I touch the bottom of the motor it felt warm as well. Is this a concern. Last question the stream of water coming out of the engine doesn’t seem as strong as it did before I replaced the impeller. Anyone know what would cause this? These are my concerns and would like to hear all the feed back I can before I put my boat back in the water. Thank you in advance.

The stream of water should be at least as strong as before, usually it is noticably stronger especially if the old impeller showed signs of wear or damage, even when running off a hose. OK for water to be warm but it should not be hot, same with engine.

When you installed the new impeller. Did you happen to lube with something like grease as you installed it.? Seen this many times with customers trying to save a buck.

Back