Logo

trim pump runs but will not lower drive

chs

Contributing Member
hello all, i need some help, i have a 2000 searay with alpha 1 gen II drive, the system worked properly last year and now the motor runs and dropsthe drive 1/2 way but just stops and the pump sound changes. the drive will lift to the trailer position no problem. when the drive is lowered the pump is still running but will not go low enough to be in the normal running range, as in, if i wer to use the trim switch(not the trailer) the drive will not lift. the trailer psoition allows the drive to lift the rest of the way(operating properly) but down is a no go. again, the solenoids are working, the motor is running. the fluid is at the correct level. i am assuming the pump itself is shot, however, i have never heard of a pump working in only 1 direction and only partially. thoughts?

Trim pumps have low pressure for the down/in and extremely high pressure for the up/out. Have someone bounce on the drive while you try and power it down...They will get stiff from sitting. Maybe put a little wd40 on the trim ram shafts.

If the boat is in the water, shift it into drive and activate the down button while raising the RPM while tied to the dock, this will push the drive in/down...It will work normally afterwards.

Common issue.

Last edited:
If the boat is in the water, shift it into drive and activate the down button while raising the RPM while tied to the dock, this will push the drive in/down...It will work normally afterwards.

Ayuh,..... Agreed,.... 'n if the boat is on the wagon, have a heavy weight friend jump on it, as you run the pump down,.....

kudoos my friends, that did it a big boy on the drive while running the pump allowed it to lower and from then on, worked as designed, howeveer the pump sounds like it is straining to lower. i think it will need a new pump.

kudoos my friends, that did it a big boy on the drive while running the pump allowed it to lower and from then on, worked as designed, howeveer the pump sounds like it is straining to lower. i think it will need a new pump.
There is nothing wrong with your pump. Use it, it is fine.

howeveer the pump sounds like it is straining to lower. i think it will need a new pump.

Ayuh,..... Goin' Down, the pump unloads, 'n screams, especially when it bottoms out,......

My guess is, the bellhousin' pivot points need greasin',....
Or,....
The gland collars on the rams are corrodin', causin' the rod to bind against the gland collar,....

Back