Logo

Help, gear oil escaping into water Suzuki DT5 1982

AdirondackGene

Engine has about 5 hrs on it, yes it does. Prior owner changed rubber water pump impeller. Purchased last year. Just cleaned carb and it runs perfect. When testing in a large trash can, noticed gear oil residue in the water and accumulating on the sides of the trash can, especially on the water line, and on the shaft, cavitation plate, prop etc below the water line. Happens even without running the prop. Cleaned the unit, cleaned the can, ran it again. Even ran it for a few seconds out of the water. Don't see any evidence of oil seeping from any where on the shaft, around the prop etc. Some residue appears to be in the very bottom exhaust opening. ANY IDEA OF WHAT'S GOING ON. COULD GEAR OIL BE ESCAPING SOMEHOW INTO THE EXHAUST CAVITY IN THE SHAFT. TOTALLY FRUSTRATED.
Thanks for any ideas you can offer.

You have to get used to it.----Very normal for a 2 stroke engine.

You just might be right on this. I saw another post below mine with the same issue, and it is probably build up of carbon and oil in the exhaust that is heating up and being pushed out. If it turns out I am loosing gear oil, I'll separate the pump section and see if the exhaust area and or the pump housing is covered in gear oil, meaning the seal and or the gasket plates are not doing their job.

UPDATE:
Yep...nothing wrong with this outboard. This was nothing but residue from oil passing out the with the exhaust gas. First running a length of romex wire a good foot up the exhaust showed it to be bone dry. Second I rigged up a system to use a water hose to feed the intake/water pump and ran the engine not using a trash can. Not a stitich of oil showed up any where on the transom, around the prop etc. After 15 - 20 minutes, no detectable oil on the ground from the exhaust.
Breathing a lot easier. Sometimes I guess we let our minds go right to the worse case scenario.

Back