Logo

Topping off with Rotella?

HarryL

I am out cruising and just checked my Tohatsu 6. With the oil dipstick screwed in the oil is at the bottom mark of the dipstick. The boat yard changed the oil last and I don’t know what was put in. I have some Rotella T 15W-40. Will adding a bit of this be worse than running at the current level?

Better to call them and see what they used. If not, then put in the Rotella for now. Better than running it low, or on the add mark.

They just responded. Mercury Quicksilver, 10W-30. We will be stopping in Nassau in a couple of days. I will just try to get some there. Most dinghy use between now and then will be short, low-rev trips.

Thanks

Good, Rotella is very good oil, but best to match weights too. I am an avid Amsoil user for some 40 plus years now. I especially appreciate the 2 stroke oils.

The crankcase of the MFS4/5/6 holds about 3/4 pint. If you are at the low mark, you could add a couple of ounces of another oil... no problem. Sounds like you are approaching an oil change anyway. Better the "wrong" oil than no oil. That said, and non-synthetic of approximately 1-w-30 is good. Adding 10% of 15w-40 is of no consequence.

Yes, I like the amsoil 2-stroke oils. But for 4-stroke use, you can't beat old dinosaur oil.

Back