Logo

Crankshaft not spinning the driveshaft

Hamboat

I’ve got a yam T9.9 2015, just pulled the leg and did the water pump. Was working fine on the stand. Worked for 5 shifts on the boat, then started making a whirring noise. Might have overshot neutral holding the un-mounted control box in my hand last shift. Turned it off checked everything out looked good. Pulled the leg and it shifts gears, locks the driveshaft, freewheeled in neut.

Put the leg back on, in gear, spin prop by hand and the driveshaft is turning I can see through the peep hole by the powerhead. It acts like the crankshaft is stripped. The driveshaft and splines look good as new though, with no metal shavings or anything on the grease.

I was told by somebody later that you should never let the shifters out of reverse with the leg off or you will do harm to the shift cam. Didn’t get any further explanation though, and it shifts fine seems like. Might try running with the leg off for a second to see if the noise is gone. It had sounded like it was coming from the top, I thought stripped crank or skipped belt at first. Thanks

Back