Logo

3.0 Broken Long starter bolt

Ayuh,..... I don't suggest it, But,....

I've been able to turn out the busted bolt bit with a left handed drill chucked into a close-quarters right angle battery drill,.....

The "Trick" is gettin' it started, Dead Center of the broken bolt,.....

idk if this will work but someone suggested its to me on my trucks water pump use drill bit drills holes in the center started with the smallest drill bit and working your way up until the bolt collapses then remove to metal and put in a new one

Broke the long starter bolt on my 3.0. Is there a way to get it out other than pulling the engine out ?

These two threaded holes are also recessed to accept the doweled (knurled) area of the starter motor bolts.
These doweled areas provide the starter motor alignment.
If you have a problem during your attempt to extract the bolt fragment (while working upside down and in an awkward position), you may not only loose thread integrity, you may loose the proper alignment.
In other words.... to be safe, it would be best to pull the engine and take it to a machine shop!

When/if you do get the bolt fragment removed, double check the length of the new bolt against the bolt bore within the starter motor's nose housing.
A bolt that was a bit too long is likely the reason for it breaking off!

Back