Logo

New 225 throwing maintenance alarm on HD4 at 20hrs

brettmarl

Regular Contributor
Not a question - just an observation to share ...

I have a new 225 that just went over 20 hours. I have it hooked upto a Honda HD4 display over NMEA2K. The HD4 shows a “maintenance alarm” alert on start up. At first I thought it was an issue - but no MIL lights or MIL codes using the paper clip method. However lo and behold - manual says I need to service at first 20 hr window.

I always thought the Honda HD4 was just a rebadged Simrad IS4 and wouldn’t have any Honda specific NMEA codes - but seems like I’m wrong and it alerts for Honda specific service intervals. Pretty cool!

I guess it’s already time to swap fluids :)

Oh right - that makes sense. Honda specific stuff is in the engine nmea output. So maybe the hd4 is a rebadged Simrad afterall ...

Probably best to have your dealer pull that first 20 hour maintenance and the first 100 hour. When they change the oil ask them to run the old oil through a coffee filter and see how much metal it has picked up. Ask them to show you the results. Also, you will likely get a considerable amount of metal flakes on the magnetic plug on the lower unit. That is normal for the first couple of lower unit oil changes. But after that, it should have no flakes - just fine pieces like talcum powder.

Right after I got my new BF 225 in 2008 and had the dealer pulled the first 100 hour maintenance, they found excessive metal in the oil. Honda replaced the entire block. Their only explanation was a manufacturing error in that the block was not sufficiently cleaned before basic assembly. The replacement block now has over 2100 saltwater hours with no apparent problems.

I’m pulling boat today and was planning on doing the 20hr myself when I do annual service on other motor. Good idea to filter and inspect - I’ll do that and send pics to Honda dealer. Thanks for the suggestion!

Not sure where you live, but first service should usually be performed by the dealer so they can make sure everything is as it should be, here the warranty is voided if the motor is not serviced by an authorised dealer, but then they are giving a 7 year warranty

Hmm. Good catch. I’ll call them and make sure it won’t impact warranty. It’s a bit of a trek over there but I can do it once I get boat back in water and other boat repairs done if they say I can’t do it myself. Thanks again for all the pointers.

Back