Logo

BF115 impeller life?

Chris061

Hi,

2001 BF115. Did a bunch of maintenance 2 yrs ago, including new impeller kit. Boat and motor always stored in garage, never below freezing.

Motor is run in fresh water only and has 75 hrs on new impeller kit. Tell tale pee stream is good at idle, strong at higher revs.

Would you recommend I change the impeller this season or is this impeller good for another season of use?

Tires and impellers are all " black " but they are not all the same.------Did you use factory parts 2 years ago ?------If running in cold , cold water a new impeller every 2 years is a good idea.

I think I went 7 years without changing the impeller on my 90hp Honda. Only did it because I figured it was long overdue.

I changed out the impellor today, the blades were showing signs of cracking / fatigue.
Impellor had 2 seasons, 75 hrs use.

See the attached pic.

image001.jpg

Was that a factory impeller or something else.--------Have worked in a tire factory and they are also all " black " but not all the same.------No " offshore " tires on my pick-up triuck !

Right, Racer.......not all "rubber" is rubber. I'll show you some real rubber in an impeller out of a 1965 Evinrude Fisherman. This new "rubber" formulation is all different. Artificial and petroleum ingredients are added, go ahead......google it up.

I've always replaced my impeller every 2 years, more for piece of mind than anything else. Its not a big job and doesn't take long to do but it does do a big and important job for your outboard.

That's right, it is a simple job on most outboards. The properties of "rubber" have deteriorated especially when used in applications requiring longevity and flexibility. The air hose which I have used in my shop in both sub zero as well as smoldering hot weather and sun.......I work outside whenever I can...... I purchase used in 1976 from a local body shop that closed up. I use it for impact tools, painting, blowing and cleaning, and sandblasting....with pressure to 140 psi. It is still perfect........WTF? Do you think we make rubber things that will even last 10 years today?

Industry is driven by " profit for the shareholder " in this day and age.-------One or two folks clamoring about quality does not matter to big corporations.

Just yesterday I am using that very same hose, the outer coating worn thin, yet still flexible and doing it's job, filling tires and inflating dead aerosol cans. I am really not well suited for today's crap. I tolerate it but surely get frustrated with comparing what we once had to what we are forced to work with today. That's why I hang on to the "good times". Yet here I am in the family waiting room while my wife's Mom gets a robotically assisted knee replacement from the same doctor that replaced my hip exactly a year ago to the day. Without these advancements we would both be in the garbage can. Why can't we use our amazing technology to build consumer products that last???? Racer, right on.

Last edited:
Back