Logo

8V71N Manual ?

GIusedtobe

This is probably a stupid question but I am looking for something that would be kind of like an "Idiots Guide" to marine 8V71N's. I have a DD shop manual but it gives limited information on the marine specific things which I have the most questions about and in particular the heat exchangers and cooling system. I would love to have something that had exploded views or routine required/recommended services. Kind of like the old Chiltons manuals for cars. I am not inept working on cars and I know these old 2 stroke DD's are not new high tech so I am just looking for any resource material that will help me understand the function of this marine cooling system etc.

Thanks
Alan

ebay is a good place to find used Detroit manuals. A parts manual would have exploded views. If you join boatdiesel.com, they have PDFs of most manuals. About $25 per year. Their Detroit forum has several DD mechanics. I've been running and rebuilding DDs for about 50 years. If you have questions, ask.

Last edited:
Well, I'm no expert on all the marine applications of these engines. Just an old truck/bus mechanic. There were MANY upfittings done by the boat builders that used the reliable 2 strokes for propulsion.

One of the biggest upfitters was Johnson & Towers I believe. If anyone produced literature that would provide the type of information you're looking for, it would likely be them.

Another big time user was the U.S. Navy. I bet there's some interesting documetation on the various cooling and exhaust systems that they developed and used for Detroits. How to track that stuff down though I don't know where you might start.

Just remember, if you find much of anything on the subject, a lot of it will be so dated that you will find that many retrofits and "field redesign" has been done on many of the original concepts.

Good luck.

Back