Logo

2007 Penta 3.0 raw water pump running very hot

Stingray305

Hello I have a 2007 Stingray 185 LS with the 3.0 Penta. I recently had a problem of the motor overheating - it was runng 200 to 225 degrees. I inspected the impeller and found many of the veins were broken. I flush the water system and everything seemed fine and I replace the impeller. yes I found the broken pieces lives in one of the tubing and took them out and even fit them back onto the impeller to make sure I got most of them.

After going for a short ride about 3 hours everything seemed fine. Motor Temp was running cool. When I got home and went to flush the motor with the garden hose I noticed an instant increase in temperature after just seconds of running. I checked the water pump again and noticed this new impeller also is missing pieces again. Again I backflush everything with the garden hose and replace impeller once again and now the raw water pump is running very very hot to the touch and is even smoking. the inside surface of the water pump does have grooves in it I noticed and I suspect this is causing the pump to not effectively move water. I suspect some debris got into the pump housing from hitting a Sandbar slightly and that is what caused the problems. I just wanted some input from some other people to see if I'm on the right track or if you could suggest where else to check for flow after the pump. I have read about checking the risers etc but I do not know where this is.

IMG_20180830_095352744.jpg

Last edited:
I inspected the impeller and found many of the veins were broken. I flush the water system and everything seemed fine and I replace the impeller. yes I found the broken pieces lives in one of the tubing and took them out and even fit them back onto the impeller to make sure I got most of them.

Ayuh,..... Donno why, but it's runnin' Dry,.... No water,......

Btw,.... You have to find ALL the pieces, not just most,.....
'n the scored housin' is now Junk,....

Yep. This morning I remembered I still had an old pump that I held onto when I bought the boat. I put the old housing on with the old undamaged impeller. After disconnecting all hoses and doing visual inspection with flashlight all seemed fine. I hooked it all back up and it's running like it should again. I even tested the high temp "horn" by grounding the temp wire from thermostat. I worked but it's not very loud. I'll be keeping an eye on the water temp gauge from now on.

Back