Logo

Suzuki Outboard - NO COMPRESSION ON 3 CYLINDERS - 900h - 5 years old

rcoliveira84

[FONT=&quot]Hi Guys,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Just wanted to know your opinion about what happened to my Suzuki Engines last week.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How can a 5year old(one owner), 900h engine have no compression on the 3 cylinders. Using it not commercially but as a weekend boat?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When all the services where made in time and the engines were really well taken care of.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here a video with a more detailed explanation of what happened. Includes pictures of the engines and videos.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anNYTuH1hSU[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please let me know if you have ever heard of new engines doing this and your opinions and questions.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks so much[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Regards[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ricky[/FONT]

Were they still running ?-------Something smells here.
Hi Racerone

Tell me about it. I don't know what to think. Compression has been double checked.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Yeah, they run, but I felt like one of the engines didn't have much power. But to turn it on, of them takes a while. You really have to accelerate.[/FONT]
We even thought it was carbonisation of the valves due to high trolling hours, but after 24hours with a compression stabiliser. We did another test and all 3 cylinders still had no compression.

The Cylinder Block is with Suzuki now. Just waiting for their assessment.

Regards
Ricky

I find this hard to comprehend.-------Zero on one cylinder maybe , but not all of them !!-------Where is this dealer / shop ??-----What reputation do they have ?

I find this hard to comprehend.-------Zero on one cylinder maybe , but not all of them !!-------Where is this dealer / shop ??-----What reputation do they have ?
I got them new, treat them like I treat my on. Very careful with oils, anodes, etc.. I am going nuts with this.
My mechanic told me he's never seen this in 25 years of work. Not in engines this new. He can't explain.
I tried all my option before deciding to open the cylinder head.

Check attached file for compression test.
1,2,3 is engine one.
5,6,7 is engine two.

This dealer is located in Nelspruit, South Africa. Its the only Suzuki dealer in that area. I have never heard bad things about them. But its the first time I Have problems this big.

But since there's another dealer now closer to where I leave, now they took over.

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 35
I just got this reply from the Engineer:
Upon inspection of the above mentioned cyl-heads, we found the exhaust guides to be severely and abnormally worn, resulting in damage to the valve faces and seats. As this type of failure is usually the result of either insufficient valve to guide lubrication or excessive combustion and exhaust temperatures, we thus recommend a detailed inspection of the entire fuel/ignition system be carried out in order to pinpoint the cause.

Tomorrow he's going to send me the pictures.

I had a 150 Yamaha did the same thing, overheated, brother. Heads cook quickly. The bottom end survived. Sold it to my friends at Tim's Outboard in Hackensack Minnesota. They rebuilt it. It had 10 hours on it when the original owner plugged the water intake with weeds, not sure why the overheat buzzer didn't attract his attention. It was on a "party barge" ?????

Last edited:
I was gonna say stuck open exhaust valves. We have had a lot of problems with the valves on our DF6A valves sticking open during layup. Even after sitting for a month or two.

Back