Logo

Kiekhaefer Mercury 50hp

harlygold

Hi to every one, I just got the is motor with my 1981 seaswiril yesterday. The serial number is 1844604. To the best of my knowledge it is coming back as a 1965 USA. So first can some one verify that for me? The person I got it from said it was fast and that it just stopped running one. That leads me to believe they were abusing the motor on the water. I pulled the cover to find the timing belt was snapped. There was still a part number on the original belt and I was able to track the belt down and have 2 of them coming to me. I understand the top dead center setting with the number one piston, how ever I need to know where the timing mark on the magneto gear points to. Second I am wanting to change out the impeller and water pump gaskets and seals for it, so I am need of knowing what part number I need to be looking for or what parts would interchange. Any and all information would be thankful.

Attachments

• 00z0z_cOCciTRsFWF_1200x900.jpg
    00z0z_cOCciTRsFWF_1200x900.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 97
The snapped belt could be caused by a seized bearing in the magneto or the one under the pulley, you should take the magneto off and check/set the point gap at".010" and replace the bearings; then time it. Warning: the post on the side of the magneto is for shutting off the motor by grounding it, do not put +12 volts to it.

Last edited:
Back