Logo

2006 Mercury 60 HP Bigfoot EFI 4 cyln problems with irratic rpms. Help needed please.

kavie

Hi all: I started my Merc last 2 weeks and it ran fine until it cut off and would not restart.

What I did:
I flushed the tank and lines. It is on a 2007 Boston Whaler 150 Sport. with approximately 240 hrs (second owner) ( fairly new good black rubber fuel lines). Installed new filters. High Pressure, Low Pressure, and Water separator filters. I also took off the VST and cleaned it out and replaced the screens. I checked the Low Pressure Pump (fairly new) but it is clean inside. Changed Spark Plugs. It started right up after all that, but it will not run properly between idle rpm to approximately 2000rpm. It idles with a little shake and I can accelerate it to 3500rpm( don't want to rev beyond). It will run at above 2000rpm, but sometimes cut back down to 1000 and back up to 1700, to 2100 and fluctuates as if it was starving for gas.
I ran through some SEAFOAM to further clean things out. Same issue. I was able to do a pressure test on the VST and it is at 42 psi and stays the same whether it idles or is revved up. I have the boat out the water and on ears, so I don't want to run it beyond 3500rpms.
I took off the ICA solenoid and with 12 volts it opened. I also checked the resistance which was 29. However, once or twice when it was running between 1200 to 1700 rpm (fluctuating up/down) I blocked the upper opening of the IAC and it seemed to level off. (this valve makes the PAKA PAKA sound as others described. It just want to bypass the 1000 to 2000 rpm. I took off most of those plastic ties and replaced with stainless steel clamps just to see if it was leaking etc. I would have taken it to the dealer, but was hospitalized recently from a heart attack and had an intervention surgery. The bills are currently horrendous. I want to thank anyone who can give me some helpful advice to get this Merc running so that I can get on the water to relieve some stress.
Thanks.

I know you don't want to take it to the dealer. But you need to scan the ecu. To see if there are any codes. Or any occurrences that have happened.

From reading similar threads I don't think this issue leave any code(s). I never heard any beeps except the default one prior to start up. I also have one of those smartcraft RPM gauge with the digital readout that gives additional information. Everything shows as normal. I have also replaced the Thermostat. I am stumped.

Thanks mechanicman, but I had changed spark plugs,too.

faztbullet: thanks, I ordered an IAC over the weekend and I am hoping that will solve the issue.

How about Coils? Anyone think there could be a problem with one of the coils? I am thinking of ordering one. I see ebay selling aftermarket ones for around $25.
Thanks again.

Well, friends, I received the IAC valve today and installed it, but there were no changes. Now I may have to look for a good reputable mechanic. Any recommendations will be appreciated. I am in Coconut Creek, South Florida. That's near Margate/Coral Springs 33063.

Thanks

I would check on fuel pump it may need to be rebuilt and easy to do also change all the little fuel hoses and fuel filter while your at it no matter it may be a good idea to do That can make the engine erratic as improper fuel flow it's a easy and inexpensive fix kit is cheap for fuel pump

I would check on fuel pump it may need to be rebuilt and easy to do also change all the little fuel hoses and fuel filter while your at it no matter it may be a good idea to do That can make the engine erratic as improper fuel flow it's a easy and inexpensive fix kit is cheap for fuel pump
Thanks, but, those were the first things I did. I am getting full flow of fuel. The low pressure pump (mechanical is new and clean) and it pumps without any hiccups. The bulb is always hard with fuel and the filter is with gas. I do not see any leaks.

Update: Mercury dealer had the boat now for a week. The computer interrogation of the engine did not indicate any codes or anything out of the ordinary. They tested everything that they believed could have been the issue, but same problem. They changed the TPI sensor and checked the Trottle Body for warps and leaks etc. So far, all seems good by them. Now, my bill keep escalating with everything they do. I am really worried now.

Update: Mercury dealer had the boat now for a week. The computer interrogation of the engine did not indicate any codes or anything out of the ordinary. They tested everything that they believed could have been the issue, but same problem. They changed the TPI sensor and checked the Trottle Body for warps and leaks etc. So far, all seems good by them. Now, my bill keep escalating with everything they do. I am really worried now.

Kavie,
Did you solve issues? My 2006 60 HP BigFoot is having similar issues.

HELLO ALL
i have a mercury 2006 outboard 60elptefi. 4 stroke.
starts up and idels fine.
the problum accures when i am going at a good spead the RPM'S drop 20 aroud 3 grand and whenever it wants to the problum will clear up .

Back