Logo

Clean out fuel tank

Markmas

Hey guy’s
what is a good way to clean the inside of a gas tank someone said put 5 gallons of alcohol in the tank let it soak for a 1/2 hour and drain. Any suggestions?

I have the tank out and have drained it but how do I clean the inside? Do I have to clean the inside? There was water in the tank that’s why I drained it I just didn’t know if i should clean the inside with a pressure rinse or alcohol as someone mentioned to me or just leave it alone reinstall it and start boating?
thanks

I have the tank out and have drained it but how do I clean the inside? Do I have to clean the inside? There was water in the tank that’s why I drained it I just didn’t know if i should clean the inside with a pressure rinse or alcohol as someone mentioned to me or just leave it alone reinstall it and start boating?
thanks

This would be my suggestion if the tank was still in the hull:

If you plan to siphon the old fuel out using the OEM fuel line connection, you will want to remove the fuel tank dip tube and look at the bottom screen for any signs of captured debris or substance that may block good flow.
Clean it and re-install it!

Next, remove the Anti-Siphon valve and temporarily replace it with a standard barbed fitting.

Do what Mechanicman suggests by raising the bow, and siphon off what you can.
Examine what you have removed.

Re-install the Anti-Siphon valve (better yet, install a new one).

This would be my suggestion for a tank that has been removed:

Add a few gallons of hot and mildly soapy water to the tank.
If the inside of the tank is very nasty, you can toss in a hand full of clean abrasive objects. (be creative.... small steel balls, bee bee gun bee-bees, etc.)
Have someone help you shake the tank best you can.
Let the abrasive objects do some scrubbing!

Drain the hot water and the abrasive material.
Now add hot water only.
Shake the tank up again.
Drain it.
While still hot, and while upside down with an opening at the low point, give it a gentle blast of compressed air.
Use Caution as to NOT OVER-Pressurize the tank!
The air blast will generally and instantly vaporize the hot water pushing it and the vapors out.
Repeat if need be!

Regardless of the method used:

I would suggest installing a Parker RACOR fuel filter system.
(if Inboard, you will need the style that is approved for I/Bs..... i.e., metal bowl. )

Add your new fresh fuel.

The RACOR filter system is a true water separating filter, whereas the OEM is not!
The RACOR will also allow you to periodically drain the bottom bowl and examine the contents.

Last edited:
Simple green and boiling hot water. Dunno how big of a tank you have, but if it's large like 50+ gallons I would pop to have it done professionally. They use stronger chemicals and you get back a sparkling clean tank that's dry inside.
Main thing is getting all the schmutz out and then drying it fully. Hard to do thru a little 2 inch hole.

Simple green and boiling hot water. Dunno how big of a tank you have, but if it's large like 50+ gallons I would pop to have it done professionally. They use stronger chemicals and you get back a sparkling clean tank that's dry inside.
Main thing is getting all the schmutz out and then drying it fully. Hard to do thru a little 2 inch hole.

Trust me on this one...... when the tank is still hot from the hot water....... a blast of clean dry air will immediately turn the water into vapor.
I've done this many times.

Back