Logo

Confused about the proper coil, part number and actual part don't match

steveg_nh

Regular Contributor
This is for a Mercury 15hp 2 stroke, serial number 0T533347

I am still chasing down what I think is some sort of electrical or fuel issue. Working through it, but did discover that the kill switch at the end of the handle is bad. Reads 120-200 ohms and activates without pushing the button if the handle is moved just right. That's part of the problem for sure! As for my coils, I think they are good, but I think I'm not reading my meter right.

From positive to negative, my meter reads .2-.4 on the x1 scale. I think that's ok. The service manual says they should be .02-.04. It's a new meter for me and much fancier than my old one, so I'm going to look at the manual. Then, from the negative to the spark plug wire socket, I get .930 on the 1k setting. Not knowing the meter, does this seem right?

Anyway, in the parts diagram, it lists coil part number 832757A4, but the coils I have are thru bolted right down the middle of the coil. How would I mount these? Do they come with some sort of adapter kit or something? Or is this a case where the parts diagram has a mistake?

Thanks!

Thanks. I'm pretty sure my occasional no start/hard start is the bad kill switch in the handle. And maybe another carb cleaning is needed.

Back