Logo

1991 omc 3.0

kmiller52

I have a 91 omc 3.0 with a cobra drive.
my question is:
Is anyone familiar with a 1" spacer between the flyweel and the engine coupler??
when i bought the boat, it needed repair. he sheared off the studs in the flywheel.
I was simply trying to find new studs, and every place I look... nobody has a record of this spacer. so the stock studs that are offered are 1" too short.
any help, or insight on this, I would appreciate it.

I've done a couple of cobra engines. Never seen a 1 inch spacer. . Flywheel and coupler only. A spacer would make the drive sit too far in the coupler. And would most likely cause damage to the coupler and crankshaft studs.
The nuts when mounted on the studs with coupler and flywheel should just protrude past the coupler a few threads. Have you got your new studs in backwards by chance?

Last edited:
Already tried to find em on the website. Even called a tech guy. He went through everything too, multiple years up and down, couldn't find anything

The only reason I can think of for the spacer, is maybe because of the engine mount location compared to the drive. The coupler would not be far enough back to properly engage the the drive shaft? the stock studs are 2" long. the ones I have that are all broken, are 3" long. they were installed properly in the crank. short thread side in, long thread side out toward the coupler. I have the 3" studs now. I'm going to put it back together the way it was, with the spacer, and pay really close attention to how the shaft engages with the coupler when re-installing the drive. How far should the shaft really be in the coupler??

I do not see any modification...only what i assume are stock holes. I just wonder if it were a special adapter for using something a year older in a year newer boat. something done at the factory, that was never documented. Same thing happened on the exhaust manifold. still using old manifolds on newer style heads.

Back