Logo

Evinrude 9.9 Wont start when hot

trent09

I have just inherited a 1983 Evinrude 9.9 outboard motor, and have put a new water pump and new gear oil. The motor sat up for a number of years completely empty of fuel and in a controlled environment. Put new fuel in and it crunk on the second pull and runs like a top. However i took it out this weekend for the first time and when i first put in it fired up after a couple pulls and smoked a tad then cleared right up. The motor ran phenomenally but when i stopped and turned it off i tried to crank it five minutes later and no luck. tried the choke made sure it was in neutral checked the fuel flow and all was good. after drifting for about fifteen minutes i kept trying it and it finally fired up and i took off down the river and it ran perfect so i decided when i got almost back to the landing to cut it off and try to crank it again and the same thing happened. So can anyone help me with the hot start issue i am experiencing? Could it just be flooding? Thanks in advance!

When it finally started, it likely smoked quite a bit. These motors allow such little throttle when starting. If they get flooded for some reason, that makes it even harder to start. Float needle could be leaking fuel past because of fuel tank pressure, thereby flooding the motor. Make sure the tank vent is working, was the sun hitting the tank? Open the fuel tank cap and see if there is pressure.
Another cause could be spark. Not as likely, however. Try the tank test first, Trent.

When it finally started, it likely smoked quite a bit. These motors allow such little throttle when starting. If they get flooded for some reason, that makes it even harder to start. Float needle could be leaking fuel past because of fuel tank pressure, thereby flooding the motor. Make sure the tank vent is working, was the sun hitting the tank? Open the fuel tank cap and see if there is pressure.
Another cause could be spark. Not as likely, however. Try the tank test first, Trent.

No sir, it didn't smoke when i finally got it to start. The second time i tried after shutting it off to try again it would start for a second then die then to nothing. Yes sir i had the vent on the gas tank open about half way to keep pressure down. I got new spark plugs to put in today. Should i try to crank it cold before applying the new plugs? Thank you

That is okay to try, no problem. We should try a spark test next. When it wouldn't start back up, when warm, I wonder if you had good spark? Make a tester to see of the spark will jump at least 7/16" with a lightning like blue/white SNAP. On rare occasions, the powerpack will cease producing effective spark when the unit is hot.

Back