Logo

Amphenol Connector Tools Hack

Klink

Regular Contributor
If you need to replace or fix an Amphenol connector, the tools to do it, three screw driver handles tools, cost like $80 as a set. I think the average engine owner might never use the tools but once, so they just replace the Amphenol connector with a different connector type that they can easily crimp on. If however, you have to replace an Amphenol connector, you can make your own tools like this:

Here’s a video that explains the OMC Amphenol connectors and how to work on them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV3JwWdBInI . The tools to push and install the connectors are three screw driver handled tools, they cost about $35 each. I was able to make the socket removal tool, making it out of a thick clothes hanger wire I had. I grinded the tip to a dull point. I sanded it to make it nice and smooth. It worked great, just lightly wet it with Vaseline to not scrape the rubber hole. I later cleaned the hole with 92% Isopropyl alcohol. Also, only pull out the connector till you can slide out the cylinder end, do not push the tool all the way through, so you better preserve the tighter hole diameter of the plug rear.

The socket removal tool, the one I made already is BRP part number 553-2699, CDI part number 322699 by itself it is like $35

The other two tools are the insertion tool, 553-2697, CDI 322697 and the pin removal tool CDI 553-2698, CDI322698

A) I think the Pin Removal Tool may just be a tube end that covers the tip of the pins, so I can make it out of a long coiled pin (or if not available a roll pin), though I doubt I will ever need to remove a pin.

B) The Insertion Tool can be made with a long roll pin, that is cut to open it more, stick a wire in it solder, and put a handle on it. My socket removal tool hack just has a bend at the end of the wire as a handle and it worked fine.

Pins- roll pins.jpgPins- Slotted spring pins.jpgPins- coiled spring pins.jpg

The other problem is the special crimpers these connectors use, you need an open barrel wide range crimper ($30), wide range means it does many sizes. Someone here on the forum who is more knowledgeable that me on the subject can tell us what "range" size is needed.

Last edited:
Back