Logo

1976 Johnson Evinrude 200 hp power pack

Perhaps, along with the causes I quoted... a internal problem existed. I'd suggest, with the key ON but engine NOT running, Check the leads going to the pack for battery voltage... and if not found to exist, inquire as to the pack's warranty.

Did you check the alternator output at high speed? My guess is it was above parameters. Probably what cooked the first pack too. I could be wrong, won't be the first time for sure? When something fails I always ask why?

Joe, you crack me up! That is one I will get some mileage on. Great!
Probably doesn't make Mr.Taylor smile, however.
Our readers have to put up with us too, we can't simply try to dish out answers without having some fun, we're not getting paid for this. Sometimes I don't get paid anyway......especially when the same thing happens again.......and it's a 300 dollar part.

Last edited:
Joe, you crack me up! That is one I will get some mileage on. Great! Probably doesn't make Mr.Taylor smile, however. Our readers have to put up with us too, we can't simply try to dish out answers without having some fun, we're not getting paid for this. Sometimes I don't get paid anyway......especially when the same thing happens again.......and it's a 300 dollar part.

Which takes me back to day one of this site when I joked to another member that Andrew (owner) offered to pay me what I was worth, whereas I replied that I couldn't live on that! :)

Possibly a wiring problem, or diode allowing a 2 directional flow? Good question. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree, but any output should be moderated by a good battery as long as the connections are proper continuity. A loose battery terminal can also create a host of problems. Certain types of batteries should not be used in applications involving early generation CDI's. I am excited to see what happens with this motor.

I always thought that the " magflash ignition " had nothing to do with the battery or the battery charging system.-----In fact I believe the motor can be started with a dead battery.

You probably are correct, Racer. I know you have more experience on this ignition system. Do you suspect a wiring problem?

I have spent some time in a facility where it took over 1 million horsepower to turn a generator.-----But it has been proven to me that 12 volts and wires can be confusing to folks.-----I now try and rerain from posting / teaching on the 12 volts and wires subject.

Hydro or nuclear? Beyond my experience. Worked on the big ships, however, 8000 horsepower generators. Mostly mechanical work and not as an electrician. It is incredible how much experience it can take to diagnose a melted power pack. If it worked for one outing, fried the next, its indicating to me some kind of an intermittent short or misdirection of current.

Hydro or nuclear? Beyond my experience. Worked on the big ships, however, 8000 horsepower generators. Mostly mechanical work and not as an electrician. It is incredible how much experience it can take to diagnose a melted power pack. If it worked for one outing, fried the next, its indicating to me some kind of an intermittent short or misdirection of current.

As in my post reply #2 where I mentioned "battery voltage accidentally applied to the pack"... Many do not comprehend that if an accessory (radio, depth finder, whatever) has its ground wire attached to the regular flat "M" terminal of the ignition switch, and whatever the accessory is, if it is still being supplied battery voltage with the ignition switch in the OFF position... that voltage supplied to the accessory is flowing thru the accessory and out its ground wire.

Since the switch is in the OFF position, the two "M" terminals are connected so that battery voltage to ground has a direct route to the powerpack which is grounded to the powerhead, and eventually..... BOOM!

To connect any wire to either of those "M" terminals other than what belongs there is not a good idea. One Black/Yellow to the raised "M" terminal... one plain black to the regular "M" terminal to lead directly to ground... that's it!

Battery voltage on blk/yellow do kill packs but why didn't the other blow/melt as they are wired together? BRP doesn't make ignition parts anymore they are subbed out. CDI used to supply them but quality issues killed that after about 2 years. They are now made in South American. My vote is a bad ground or pack problem.

Back