Logo

280 volvo pds removel

Dave1003

Hi I am doing up a bertram20 with a 302 windsor i have the motor out rebuilding it and want to do the pds.I want to do it out of the boat and cant get it out. PN is 839437
I have searched for manual with no joy ..Any help would be great. Thanks

Last edited:
The Ford engines used a single bearing PDS.
After removing the two AFT snap rings, the PDS will (should) come out AFT of the flywheel cover.

Remove and replace the bearing on the work bench.
If the flywheel cover has a grease port for this bearing, you must use an “open” bearing. Very likely an industry standard 6206 . NO Chinese bearings!!!!!

Make certain to:

..... install the new AFT seal in the non-conventional orientation. This seal is stopped by the AFT-most snap ring.
In other words...... the seal is pushed in until it comes to rest against the snap ring.
(the FWD seal installs conventionally)

..... pre-fill the grease cavity while spinning the PDS.
..... grease the Borg Warner splines.
..... grease the crankshaft pilot bushing and the PDS pilot nose.

In the future, lube this bearing with engine at idle.
A good practice is to do this during engine oil changes.

Last edited:
Cheers rick.i removed a 145a before and it was 6 allen key and the lot was out.i pulled the motor off the flywheel cover.it was low on 1and 2 .The flywheel cover is still on transom plate.Do i remove the 6 flywheel bolts to pull the lot out.

You do not need to remove the flywheel cover from the transom shield in order to change the bearing!

If you do remove it, you’ll want to at very least replace the inner rubber cushion ring. This ring provides the water seal!

Last edited:
Update removed shaft it had no front circlip one rear clip no rear seal there is only one recess forward and aft for circlip the bearing that was in it is sealed 91193 is this correct bearing

Update removed shaft it had no front circlip one rear clip no rear seal there is only one recess forward and aft for circlip the bearing that was in it is sealed 91193 is this correct bearing

First off… ..... there is no need to pay the expensive price for a Volvo Penta bearing. These are industry standard bearings with Volvo Penta’s part number on the box!
Most any good bearing supplier will have it....... likewise with the seals.

If your flywheel cover has a grease port, use a 6206 (open).
If no grease port, use a 6206-2RS bearing (sealed).

You should have one small snap spring that secures the bearing to the PDS.

You should also have one larger snap ring that secures the PDS into the flywheel cover.
The last large snap ring goes in next.
The AFT seal is pushed in against this AFT snap ring.

Regarding your comments about the snap ring recess (groove) it’s pissible that your F/C is not Volvo Penta.
Look for the names Eaton, Holman Moody, Donzie etc!
If you have one of these...... the bearing may be a different p/n.

Post a few pictures of it.

Last edited:
Thanks Rick I got some younger eyes on the bearing it is a skf 6206 seaied and still good but will replace the pds looks to have had work done on it some pitting on corse splines will post some pictures. Will have to get some snap rings only rear one installed.The boat was purchased from the bush and the previous owner was very agriculture. Cheers

Thanks Rick I got some younger eyes on the bearing it is a skf 6206 seaied and still good but will replace the pds looks to have had work done on it some pitting on corse splines will post some pictures. Will have to get some snap rings only rear one installed.The boat was purchased from the bush and the previous owner was very agriculture. Cheers

The 6206 is an open bearing.
The 6206-2RS (or other extension numbers) will be a sealed bearing of the exact same dimensions.

All snap rings can be purchased at NAPA.

Don’t worry about minor pitting on the AFT PDS splines...... as long as the female yoke slides well, you will be ok.

Good afternoon. I have a 1969 Holman Moody 331 mated to a Volvo 280. The PDS bearing is bad and needs to be replaced. This is on a Donzi St. Tropez 19. Do I need to remove the motor to access the shaft and bearing. It’s a Holman Moody Bell housing. Thanks

This would be one of the "extended housings". FYI... the 280 drive is not original... a 1969 boat would have a 260...
That said...
1) Remove drive
2) Remove the bolts retaining the clamp ring that you now can access from outside the boat..
3) Disconnect engine from cables and wiring as well as the exhaust lines, etc.
4) Unbolt engine mounts from stringers
5) Lift/slide engine forward several inches
6) Lift engine w/housing from boat.

Housing should have a grease port... If not there should be a plug on the housing that will take one. Some folks mount the
grease (ZERK) fitting on the end of a short hose for ease of access.
Replace both bearings .... use unsealed bearings so you can use the lube port to lube them annually.

Replace the two big "donuts"
Realign engine when reinstalling it per shop manual. ( leaving engine mounts on engine simplifies this.)

Last edited:
Back