Logo

98 Honda BF40 Wiring and Warning Lights

Ok, while waiting for my carb kits to arrive, I thought I'd dig into some other bugaboos that have been irking me since I've owned this boat. The warning indicator lights have never worked.

I got to searching and found this thread and followed it. Unfortunately, it wasn't a success for me. I have continuity on the thermal (red) wire from the terminal on the engine to the controls but I do NOT have continuity on the yellow wire on the oil pressure sensor switch. I removed the wire from the sensor and have continuity from the terminal to the side of the switch body (as suggested in the service manual) so I don't believe it's the switch.

The motor runs great (aside from the carb issue) and the lights have never worked in my ownership. I'm wondering if I have a problem with voltage getting to where it's supposed to be. I seem to have a disappearing ground that comes and goes and I can't figure out why for the life of me. Is there a way to bench test the lights with standard 12V directly hooked up to a battery? That will at least eliminate the lights as the culprit.

Should I have continuity from the OPS' yellow wire to the control yellow wire or is that only when triggered somehow in the CDI?
Thanks!
Scott

Last edited:
Ok thanks, but is there a way to test either the sensor or the lamp itself? Do you know if I should have continuity from the sensor wire to the controls? I don't currently. I think tomorrow I might try running a temp wire from the sensor to the lamp and see if that does the trick.

The manual says this: until the switch is actuated physically by oil pressure, which opens the switch inside the sensor breaking the contacts continuity the light should go out for 1 wire switches or connecting both pins on 2wire switches .connect black & yellow to + and yellow to negative to test the light .

Ok so I hooked up 12v+ to black and yellow and 12V- to the yellow directly from a house battery and no joy. Looks like i'll be buying a new part. I appreciate the help!

Back