Logo

90 Honda/Tohatsu

timguy

Silver Medal Contributor
What do you think of this as a new replacement for my brother's Alumacraft 170 Trophy? He wants to go 4 stroke, replacing a 1987 Merc 115. I can get a new one....carryout.....from a friend in Hibbing MN who has a dealership, for $6000. Tax included. What do you think? Performance wise we are most interested in freighting and fishing, remote NW Ontario.

1. If Dave's sells you any Remote Tohatsu without installing it, he risks losing his dealership.
2. That price is below dealer cost, so it may be a leftover demo (used) unit.
3. The power is likely adequate; Very good low-end torque on those motors. You will not get the same high-end speed, however.

Excellent, probably is as you say. I would never ever get Dave in trouble. I am an old Hibbing boy. He must have some way to do it for me. I am not interested in speed, but the ability to haul a heavy load. Maybe he will have me bring it back to check my installation. I have 50 years plus professional marine repair experience. I can't work for anyone anymore because I have become too fussy. This includes extensive experience working major overhauls on the Great Lakes and for the US Navy Reserve vessels in Charleston SC. I specialize in welding and fabrication and have yet to burn up a vessel like the dummies just did on the St. Clair Feb 16 2019 in Toledo. I had to turn down work in this past year because of a totally destroyed hip, that could have been in part due to suffering severe Lymes disease twice. (I'm also a logger). I have pretty good experience with the big Yamahas and Hondas, including an overhaul of a 90 Honda water recovery. I loved that motor......kinda got me to see the quality. In my 64 years, I have bought 1 brand new outboard, and it was a Honda. Seems Honda and Tohatsu have a relationship that is so mutually beneficial. You are an exceptional tech and thanks for all your help. Tim

Back