Logo

2002 f25 crankshaft rebuild

Boomkanani

Aloha gang,

im new to this form and ripping apart outboard motors. Starting small but have run into big problems. After motor apparently overheated and seized up I realized I spun a bearing on piston number 2 at the crank. The crank seem to be a bit rough, so my question is if I decide to bring it into a machine shop how much can they grind it down and what size bearings do I use. I noticed there are 3 choices for that application. I concidered buying a new crank but that’s not really in my budget for a backup motor. Advice and opinions appreciated. Thanks

The applicable service manual provides the minimum diameter for the crank shaft journals.

Once the shaft is ground down it will either be in or out of specifications. If out, it is scrap. If it is within then you select the bearing colour that will provide the clearance that is specified within the service manual.

Thanks for your reply. I assumed that was the process but the service manual I have is general to different motors. Wanted to get that spec info to the maximum I can grind it down so I can give the machine shop info. If anyone can help me with that I’d be grateful ����

The motor should have a specific model identity. For instance, F25MLHA. Crank shaft part number 65W-11411-01-00.

There is a specific Yamaha service manual for that model motor. Within the SM you will find the minimum dimensions for the crank shaft journals and the clearances for the bearings.

Understood. I need to get a hold of that Manual and information. The one I currently have is SELOC Edit has a wide range of mercury and Yamaha. Thanks for your input And guidance

Will look something like this:
24dmz55.jpg

Back