Logo

1997 Johnson Ocean Runner VRO Part question

n36511

Regular Contributor
I am in the process of replacing my VRO pump for my 1997 Ocean Runner 200hp and am getting conflicting information as to the correct part number. Can someone confirm that 5007420 is the correct replacement for my engine? I am about 500 miles away from the boat and want to make sure I get the correct part number the first time :)

[h=1]Thanks!!![/h]

Looks to be correct.-----What is the motor doing / not doing ?----How did you decide it needs a new pump ?-----Have you taken the old pump apart to be sure it is in need of a replacement ?

Thanks for the quick response Racerone. I get very little time to troubleshoot while I am actually around the boat so the troubleshooting I have done is not exhaustive...but it is my thinking the VRO is next in line to be replaced. Below is what I have experienced and what I have tried:

Symptoms:
- Boat was running fine for the first half of the day. Then started to smoke (excess oil smoke) and rpms would not go above 3500 RPM.
- hand pump the fuel primer and RPMs jump but for only a short bit
- eventually engine dies and plugs are fouled

What I have done:

- Bypassed fuel water sep (mainly same results but not as much smoke..still dies and plugs fouled)
- replaced fuel lines all the way to tank and primer bulb (same results)
- Ran off of portable gas tank (same results)

I did notice that once I prime the fuel line, in a short period of time, air shows up in the clear fuel filter closest to the engine. I am not a mechanic (far from it), but this tells me that air is entering the line somewhere north of the fuel filter. Since there is only 2 inches of fuel hose between it and the VRO pump, I thought the next logical step would be to replace it (and this one is about 7 years old). I do not know how to take the pump apart, and because I only have a limited amount of time to troubleshoot...I would rather install a new one and learn how to rebuild the old one at a later date (and keep it as a spare).

Is my logic flawed or did I miss another easy step?

Thanks,
Scott

You may be getting to much fuel not enough! I would check your primer enrichment solenoid (I think that's the name) It should be in the automatic setting which is where the red lever is pointing straight down. Also check the wires going to it. If they get fuel on them they tend to crack exposing the inner wire. A quick check might be to pull both wires and see if she runs fine. If it doesn't that part could still be bad, just stuck in a partly open position. If you are still working on it let me know and I will check my manual tonight for the proper testing procedure. I also wouldn't rule out your carbs. one of the floats or needle seats could be sticking open. Your symptoms (smoke/ fouled plug) are a motor getting to much fuel, non not enough. Maybe pumping the primer created enough pressure for a slightly better atomization resulting in better running for a brief moment.

n36511.... Your initial explanation... ran okay 1/2 day then started smoking, eventually died, plugs fouled..............

One question...... Did you notice the Fuel Primer Bulb going flat, attempting to collapse somewhat, (Fuel Restriction?).

A fuel restriction would cause the fuel primer bulb to attempt to be withdrawn internally (flat), and at the same time cause the engine to run lean of fuel (gasoline)... BUT... the oil side of the VRO would continue on, resulting in excessive oil in the carburetors, much smoke, and eventually with too much oil... die out.

I think Joe has a great point! That restriction he is talking about would be anywhere from the ball (including it) back to the tank (including the fuel pickup).

You may be getting to much fuel not enough! I would check your primer enrichment solenoid (I think that's the name) It should be in the automatic setting which is where the red lever is pointing straight down. Also check the wires going to it. If they get fuel on them they tend to crack exposing the inner wire. A quick check might be to pull both wires and see if she runs fine. If it doesn't that part could still be bad, just stuck in a partly open position. If you are still working on it let me know and I will check my manual tonight for the proper testing procedure. I also wouldn't rule out your carbs. one of the floats or needle seats could be sticking open. Your symptoms (smoke/ fouled plug) are a motor getting to much fuel, non not enough. Maybe pumping the primer created enough pressure for a slightly better atomization resulting in better running for a brief moment.

I didnt even know there there was one of those and will check that out next time I am down. It definitely seems like there is more fuel than oil running through the system but could b too much fuel all together. Thanks for the feedback

n36511.... Your initial explanation... ran okay 1/2 day then started smoking, eventually died, plugs fouled..............

One question...... Did you notice the Fuel Primer Bulb going flat, attempting to collapse somewhat, (Fuel Restriction?).

A fuel restriction would cause the fuel primer bulb to attempt to be withdrawn internally (flat), and at the same time cause the engine to run lean of fuel (gasoline)... BUT... the oil side of the VRO would continue on, resulting in excessive oil in the carburetors, much smoke, and eventually with too much oil... die out.

No, the bulb did not go flat. It seemed like it was losing pressure and you could feel air in it when you pumped. I bypassed the tank, pickup, and old primer when I hooked up to a portable tank. Thanks for responding!! Hopefully I can get this figured out.

I think Joe has a great point! That restriction he is talking about would be anywhere from the ball (including it) back to the tank (including the fuel pickup).

Thanks. I bypassed all of that with the portable tank I hooked up so not sure it would be a restriction. Good thought though. Thanks for responding!!

Back