Logo

Missing t-stat and poppet valve

topgun3690

Hello! Am new to this forum, did a search for my question but found nothing specific about Chrysler motors. Long story short, I went to check my thermostat and poppet valve after replacing the water pump and found both were not installed in this motor. My question is.....Is there a known problem about these motors, maybe overheating issues that would cause someone to not install these parts? The BOOK says these parts should be installed and functional and I tend to agree with that. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

The thermo's not absolutely needed.
Some think they run better with out it??
I don't.
The motor runs better and the fuel economy is better when ran at the right temp.
Someone probably removed it when it failed and just didn't replace it.(cheap)

Poppet valve?
Not sure I know what part your talking about?
There is a pressure relief valve in the spacer/adaptor plate under the motor.
It has a plastic plug, like a poppet valve?
Again not absolutely needed, they stopped using them in later motors.

I would install a new thermo.
It's a 110d and sold on this site( i think) or eBay

Last edited:
What "book" ?
Clymer, Seloc, or factory manual?

Both Clymer and Seloc have some good info but don't have the specifics the factory manual has.

Is the online repair and service manual offered by this site good? It looks like you can get access to info for your specific model engine, unlike Seloc where it covers many models and you have to really hunt for your info?

[FONT=&quot]223225859955 eBay it's for a 1980 but should cover the same stuff.

I didn't know they offered a online manual??
Post a linc to it, I can't find it.[/FONT]

I received that Chrysler factory manual today. It really is more detailed and specific to my motor. Lots of good info in there. Thanks again.

Back