Logo

2001 Honda bf130 problems.

Clemson021

New to the forum. I am seeking help. Thanks in advance. My motor has been having a problem surging at high rpms. Runs perfect at low rpms. Sometimes trimming the motor up or down triggers the surging. I have done the following:

Replaced all fuel filters and fuel lines, VST, High pressure fuel pump. (Doesn’t seem to be a fuel problem at this time). There is a also NO water in the fuel.

Replaced impeller
Replaced thermostat
Replaced spark plugs
Batteries are two interstate 1000 cranking amps and are 2015’s.

Tell tale pressure is very strong. Every once in a while the beeping alarm will sound right after take off. Once I cut motor off and back on it goes away. I originally found the problem last summer while I trimmed my motor up. At that the point the motor starting surging as if it was going into RPM reduction... but no alarm. I did find a little water leak it what looks to be the head gasket. It drips into the cowling. I do not have any water in the oil. I’m starting to think I might have a blown head gasket. Can someone please help me diagnose the issue? Maybe some test I could run to help. Again.. thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Surging or misfiring? What was the condition or color consistancy of the old spark plug like? Have you done a compression test ? Carry out s fuel pressure check at full throttle.Start with the basics

Surging or misfiring? What was the condition or color consistancy of the old spark plug like? Have you done a compression test ? Carry out s fuel pressure check at full throttle.Start with the basics

By surging I mean it goes from 4000 rpm to 2500 rpm until I pull off the throttle.

My 2002 Glacier Bay Renegade SX cat has dual Honda 130a outboards. It has literally been one problem after another with the engines. For what I've spent replacing parts, I could've probably bought new engines! Fortunately, I have an awesome boat mechanic.

At present, I need a lower unit for my port engine. A sudden rain squall resulted in my hitting a rock due to poor visibility. I've been beating myself up since then.

If anyone knows of a lower unit for sale for a Honda 130a engine, I'd greatly appreciate your letting me know. I believe my lower unit has a 25" shaft, not a 20", but we're measuring to make sure.

The biggest problem is that I and my boat reside on Grand Bahama Island and nobody here has Honda engines. I now know why!

Back