Logo

Force 5hp Cowling Starter Rope Outlet Modifications?

Klink

Regular Contributor
Anyone ever seen a picture of a 5hp Force colwing where someone modified the rope start outlet so you can take off the cowling and put it out of the way without having to take apart the rope handle? Has anyone come up with a better solution than having to take the rope handle apart?

Force 5hp cowling front.JPG

You can cut the opening and make it bigger.
But the handle will end up under the cowl.
You can probably add an L bracket with a groove cut in it so the handle doesn't disappear?
Or? a different handle that the line releases from easier?

You can cut the opening and make it bigger.
But the handle will end up under the cowl.
You can probably add an L bracket with a groove cut in it so the handle doesn't disappear?
Or? a different handle that the line releases from easier?

Cutting the cowling - I measured the stock handle and it would have to be changed to a smaller one or else the cutout would have to be bigger than the rectangular vertical surface where the handle rests now. Moreover, after cutting we'd have to deal with water getting in there. And, cutting is final, like amputation, something really to think about. The L bracket is good idea, but, it goes along with the cutting of the cowling.

I really like the handle route, it is simple and can't hurt anything. So, for now, I quickly came up with a "clip" system to hold the rope without a knot. The problem with a knot is that it tends to get harder and harder to untie, even a figure 8 knot. Below is the clip, it is just a little piece of aluminum with two holes, the trick is the way it is layed, all it is twisted rope, no knots. It goes inside of the stock steel piece that holds the rope. The rope goes through the steel piece then into the aluminum clip as shown below .

The key is the idea of changing the handle design, thanks. That is the way to go. I'm thinking that with a slightly bigger hole in the cowling, a rope with a knot in it could fit through the slightly larger cowling hole , and then all you would need is to tie the knot onto a nail and put it sideways in the handle. When you need to remove the cowling, you just pull the rope knot and nail up, turn it and put it through the handle and then through the cowling hole. That would be quick and easy.

Rope handle aluminum clip.jpg

Last edited:
Take a look at the little Johnsons/Evinrudes of the 50's and 60's. That's what I would do. Lotta parts around for these. I could send you some.

Last edited:
Take a look at the little Johnsons/Evinrudes of the 50's and 60's. That's what I would do. Lotta parts around for these. I could send you some.

I looked them up, yes, excellent suggestion. I thank you very much for your kind offer, but I do not wish to burden you with the mailing and all. I'm working on the engine to sell it, so I'm just going to go with what I did. Your advice is very much appreciated.

Last edited:
The starting rope wrapping pictured in the prior posting slips off after a few pulls, so, I changed it to this wrapping below, and it does not slip and it is easy to take apart (basically a knot with the aluminum piece inside the knot:

Rope handle aluminum clip.jpg

Back