Logo

Having trouble calibrating fuel tank on Volvo EVC

Gsully23

Hey there everyone, new here and this is my first post so bear with me.

We have a customer at work, he owns a 2016 chaparral 270 signature. Ever since he took delivery of the boat his fuel gauge never worked. The boat has one fuel tank. Over gone through the steps for calibration using the gauge, and everytime it says failed after agreeing to go forward with the calibration because it's not at an appropriate level ( fuel sender resistance wise) I hook up a brand new sender outside the tank and attempt to calibrate it ( since the fuel sender cant be removed completely due to location), and still no luck.

Well I come to find out this isnt the Volvo specific sender, so it ranges from 35-240 ohms. I have a brand new Volvo sender and see that it runs from 7-180 ohms. So I'm assuming this is where my problem lies, or am I wrong?

Also I have the vodia tool. Is there anyway for me to use the vodia to tell the evc system to accept this type of send that doesnt go down to 7 ohms? The problem is, if I have to swap this sender out I'm going to have to cut a 4" pie plate access hole to remove and install the new sender....and it would be in a really bad location.

Sorry for the long post but any help is appreciated

Hey there everyone, new here and this is my first post so bear with me.

We have a customer at work, he owns a 2016 chaparral 270 signature. Ever since he took delivery of the boat his fuel gauge never worked. The boat has one fuel tank. Over gone through the steps for calibration using the gauge, and everytime it says failed after agreeing to go forward with the calibration because it's not at an appropriate level ( fuel sender resistance wise) I hook up a brand new sender outside the tank and attempt to calibrate it ( since the fuel sender cant be removed completely due to location), and still no luck.

Well I come to find out this isnt the Volvo specific sender, so it ranges from 35-240 ohms. I have a brand new Volvo sender and see that it runs from 7-180 ohms. So I'm assuming this is where my problem lies, or am I wrong?

Also I have the vodia tool. Is there anyway for me to use the vodia to tell the evc system to accept this type of send that doesnt go down to 7 ohms? The problem is, if I have to swap this sender out I'm going to have to cut a 4" pie plate access hole to remove and install the new sender....and it would be in a really bad location.

Sorry for the long post but any help is appreciated
Is there a separate fuel gauge somewhere, non volvo? Have ran into this before where boat was built and sending unit installed for some other brand gauge because builder has options on engine and gauge package. Evc doesn't play well with different sending unit. Verify wiring to sender is connected to the evc system. If connect to evc system only option we have come up with is to go volvo sending unit. Have you tried just the 2 step method, full and empty?

It doesnt show me the option for "full" calibration. There is no seperate gauge, I thought for sure the problem played with it not being the Volvo specific sender......but since we had one in stock I attempted to just try calibrating the system with that brand new sender out of the tank. Still no luck. With either one of the sensors connected into the boats harness I can see that the EVC system says that the sensor is connected......but every attempt to calibrate through the gauges has failed saying the the value was not accepted. Still haven't tried the vodia yet but if I have time during this next week I'm going to see if I can something to register with that. I just hate the vodia, I love my YDIS, my B.U.D.S, and even the DIACOM even though its limited. With the vodia I feel like I'm using a BlackBerry from the early 2000's

Back