Logo

M40D2 tilt trim problem

PatSea

I have an M40D2 serial 46226. The tilt unit will no longer raise the engine. It lowers the engine ok. The tilt motor works, it seems like the problem must be in the hydraulics.
I see no evidence of an oil leak anywhere.
I read online about air in the system and followed the procedure of raising and lowering the unit by hand, checked and filled the unit. I still hear a lot of gurgling sound when the engine is lowered down. I've probably raised and lowered it 20 times over the last couple days, checking for oil level after every 5 times. Any suggestions on what my next steps should be. I have the service manual and parts manual.
I'm thinking of removing the unit, disassembling it, and doing the inspections. Are the internal parts still available? If I need a whole new tilt assembly is it available? Thanks for your help.

As I mentioned on the other forum: Assuming the pump is running OK, yes, you probably still need to bleed more air. Tilt the motor up and see if you need to refill. Then put the filler plug in, and repeat a few times. Keep adding as required. Then run the tilt motor and see how far you have gotten. It can be a pain to purge all the air. Depending on whether you have the early or late version of the TT unit, few if any parts are available. For the both styles, the motor, filter, reservoir, and pump assemblies are available... but those seem to be working in your case. Raising and lowering by hand only does so much. Run the pump up and down and refill the reservoir a dozen or so times to see if you can purge the air. If you have the early style, did you check the relief valve to make sure it is working?

Back