Logo

1997 Yamaha 40. Dead in my garage.

tmclarty

I bought this 1997 40 hp tiller, short shaft motor new. I ran it on a fishing/hunting boat until 2017 when the crankshaft separated. It looks new and always ran perfectly. The motor was disassembled by reputable service folks. They said everything fine except crankshaft. It is now in parts, taking up space in my boat barn.

I do t really know what to do with it. Is it worth fixing, parting out or what? I am not a mechanic. I had it set up high on transom and suspect lack of back pressure at prop caused the crank to separate.

I wish i had it it like it was. It was bad ax little motor!

Any sugestions? Thx!

Look for a parts motor with good powerhead.-----Or invest in a factory new crankshaft assembly.-----Look for a crank assembly on e-bay.

TM. Probably not worth repair unless you can do it yourself or get it to a school with a good instructor. Alternatively, you can price out parts/gaskets at Tim's Outboard Hackensack MN. 218 682 2331. It really needs a close exam to truly determine the exact cause as well as the extent of the damage.

From another website where I asked the question about where to get a crank shaft repaired:

"Rod sent me to Caroline Tool and Machine to get a rebuilt crank for my C40.
They take your crank as long as it is a rebuild-able core.

It had to be one they had repaired already since the turn around was so fast

3416 Enterprize Drive
Wilmington NC

910-343-8111"

Where do you live by the way? I might be interested in some piece parts if you decide to sell the motor for parts.

Where do you live by the way? I might be interested in some piece parts if you decide to sell the motor for parts.
Arkansas.

If if I do sell I would sell the whole thing. The motor would still run and perform after crank separated. No damage anywhere else.

What i I would love to do is fix it Put a jet foot on it. Probably not worth it though.

Thx for your input!! I appreciate it. If you r interested in it. Let me know. Has ss prop as well.

Back