Logo

1990 johnson 4hp deluxe outboard not getting fuel

Corey85

Hi i have a 1990 johnson outboard 4hp deluxe motor that i cant seem to get started. I squeeze the prime ball and it sends fuel through the lines all the way to the fuel filter/pump but not through the pump out to the carb. If i spray starter fluid in the end of the carb it turns over but does not stay running long. I removed the carb completely and could spray starter fluid straight into the engine and it woild stay running. Has new fuel pump/filter rebuilt carb and new spark plugs. Please does anyone know why i cannot get fuel through the pump to the carb? Thanks in advance.

Careful you don't run it anymore on just starting fluid, there is not much lubrication in that stuff. Did you change the fuel line between the new pump and carb? Is the pump self-rebuilt or is it new?

Hi i have a 1990 johnson outboard 4hp deluxe motor that i cant seem to get started. I squeeze the prime ball and it sends fuel through the lines all the way to the fuel filter/pump but not through the pump out to the carb. If i spray starter fluid in the end of the carb it turns over but does not stay running long. I removed the carb completely and could spray starter fluid straight into the engine and it woild stay running. Has new fuel pump/filter rebuilt carb and new spark plugs. Please does anyone know why i cannot get fuel through the pump to the carb? Thanks in advance.

This indicates that there is something wrong with the fuel pump !

As a double check try blowing through it . You should be able to blow through it from the inlet to the outlet but not in the opposite direction

If you have attempted to rebuild the pump yourself you may have assembled it incorrectly.

Faulty fuel pump...OR... if possible, lines hooked up backwards.

I wondered but decided you'd have to be very silly to do that

However to clarify

282knmf.jpg

I have the old pump and just bought a new pump still same thing. Fires up with starter fluid but doesnt get gas to the carb.

I have the old pump and just bought a new pump still same thing. Fires up with starter fluid but doesnt get gas to the carb.

Can you blow through these pumps from filter inlet to pump outlet ? If you can, can you pump fuel through them with the pump to carb hose disconnected ?

If you cannot then there is something wrong with the way the pumps are assembled.

Can you blow into the carb inlet with the aid of a length of fuel hose (or similar)? If you cannot the float valve is not opening (or the bowl is in fact already full).

Was the carb well cleaned by "physically" checking all passages. If air was blown through, it might not be enough. Can you describe how you set the float?

Back