Logo

Locked up teleflex helm

I need to replace a locked up teleflex helm. New to this. Don’t want to replace entire cable. This is a single cable system with a short stub on one side. A few uncertainties:

Unsure which model to purchase. No part number, just says Safe-T System.

Cant get old cable out. Assume you drill out what looks like pressed pins, or will it pry apart?

Can i I replace the helm without a new cable anyway?

Cant get a photo to upload. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Wayne

Replace everything, only a few dollars difference.,.,.. Chances are the cable is locked up not the helm.
I was afraid someone would say that! I am pretty sure the helm is at issue. Even in its partially disassembled state, I can’t get it to turn. Snaking a new cable through this boat will be a nightmare. Any tips on that other than brute strength? There is quite a bit of wiring in the conduit to contend with. Given how hard it was to pull wire through for diwnrigger outlets, I can’t imagine getting something the size of the cable end through without pulling the wiring first.

I just replaced mine this week, Use a garden hose and push over the end of the cable at the helm end, shrink wrap it, the give it a spray bottle of soapy water as you push and someone pulls the cable out the transom end, cut the hose off the old cable and leave the hose in the boat. Do the same with the new cable, it took me and my wife less then 2 minutes to replace my cable this way, Also helps keep the new greasy end clean.

I just replaced mine this week, Use a garden hose and push over the end of the cable at the helm end, shrink wrap it, the give it a spray bottle of soapy water as you push and someone pulls the cable out the transom end, cut the hose off the old cable and leave the hose in the boat. Do the same with the new cable, it took me and my wife less then 2 minutes to replace my cable this way, Also helps keep the new greasy end clean.

Thanks for that tip! I just went out and twisted the motor around by hand, and the cable slides in and out with no problem within the slack it has at the helm. So I’m becoming more convinced it’s the helm that failed. I’ll have to decide if I want to replace them both together, I’m sure it’s the best idea long term.

Thanks agsin

Ayuh,..... Replace 'em both as a set,......

In yer picture, the spiral coil around the center strand isn't spaced evenly, which means it's junk,.....
Wider by the nut, closer near the tag end,.....

The cog gears in the helm run on those spirals, as gear teeth,..... they have to be perfectly even spacin',.....

Ayuh,..... Replace 'em both as a set,......

In yer picture, the spiral coil around the center strand isn't spaced evenly, which means it's junk,.....
Wider by the nut, closer near the tag end,.....

The cog gears in the helm run on those spirals, as gear teeth,..... they have to be perfectly even spacin',.....

Got it! Thanks for that. I’m understanding now. I have finally accepted my fate...

Teleflex, the marine products company, no longer exists. Sea Star Solutions is the company supplying helms like yours. On their website, click Products > Mechanical Steering > and the helm you are looking for.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/

I replaced my steering a few years ago, and had a question for Sea Star. Their tech support folks were very helpful.

Teleflex, the marine products company, no longer exists. Sea Star Solutions is the company supplying helms like yours. On their website, click Products > Mechanical Steering > and the helm you are looking for.

I replaced my steering a few years ago, and had a question for Sea Star. Their tech support folks were very helpful.

Thanks! Yes I have been in touch, and this forum and Sea Star have been very helpful. I am so looking forward to this...like a beating... :)

Another question is, should I upgrade to power steering? My friend has this on his boat, and it's great!

Back