Logo

M90a Lower pivot tube bushing

whaler_warner

Contributing Member
Just a minor niggle but as per title i have a bit of play in the lower pivot tube bushing which i am pretty sure has disintegrated.

Its on my "to do list" but am I correct the only way to replace the bushing is to remove the powerhead to access the steering shaft from the top or is there any way of getting to the bottom to replace this bushing?

Is this the steering shaft bushing? If so, it is possible to change the lower bushing in situ, but it would be difficult, since the steering shaft fits into the lower mount bracket. If it's the tilt bushings, you will need to pull off the transom brackets.

002-21031-2_FIG17.jpg

Its the steering shaft bushing, i can wiggle the lower unit and feel the play in the steering shaft. Possibly just the bottom one Part number 11 as per your diagram.

You can disengage the motor mounts and access the bottom of the shaft, but it will be some work.

Having had a good look the play seems to be coming from the lower mounts and not so much the pivot tube, with the motor in a slightly trimmed position on the trailer i can move the lower unit left/right with a fair bit of play in the lower mounts rather than the tube, will maybe get a video uploaded to show. If its loads of work I wont bother but I do notice a lot of shake when at idle, more than a normal amount for a 2 stroke

just resurrecting this as its definitely the pivot tube bushing that has more play than I am happy with so ive ordered part number 11 on the diagram which is the plastic bushing. Obviously pulling the powerhead is just not on the cards, my plan is to disconnect the gear linkage which runs down the pivot tube, undo the lower mounts each side and the circlip that's mounted underneath the pivot tube. Do you think this will allow me to slide in the new bushing?

Back